The Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) is a member of the Primary Care Specialty Team and within six weeks be able to work interdependently with direct Registered Nurse (RN) supervision in the delivery of quality nursing care. This team member with assistance as noted above will support the clinical needs of Veterans seen in the CBOC Specialty Clinic setting. He/she will establish competence within one year to provide care appropriate to adult and geriatric patients.Learn more about this agency
The list below is not all inclusive of the duties the incumbent will perform.
This nurse will work toward attaining knowledge and skills to carry out task of non-complex practical nursing care assignments. When providing care for complex assignments he/she will work interdependently with direct supervision of an assigned Registered Nurse.
The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to collect objective measurements reflective of a patient's health status and bring those measurements/indicators that fall outside expected parameters to physicians and other medical providers. The LPN must adhere to Medical Center and Service level policies and procedures to provide the care needed and to identify each patient's requirements relative to his or her population-specific needs.
The LPN demonstrates active collaboration and communication as a member of a larger healthcare team which includes the Patient, Provider, RN, and Clinical Support Technician and the Larger Team consisting of family/caregiver, internal and community-based services and disciplines involved in providing care to the patient. The LPN implements the PACT principles and is pro-active at instituting care for a wide variety of patients of varying ages and states of health that will be examined and treated in the CBOC Specialty Clinic setting.
Licenses Practical Nurses will work under the direction of the Registered Nurse in charge and will report to the Nurse Manager. Input from the patient and family, will be acknowledged toward the goal of achieving the excellence desired in patient care. LPNs work in collaboration with the Registered Nurse on the unit to perform duties which include collection of health assessment data as part of the patient screening, planning, implementing, and evaluating assigned duties. They are accountable for all patient care they provide. They have responsibility for adhering to all Standards of Nursing Practice, for managing supplies and equipment, with direction from the Registered Nurse, and for promoting teamwork among co-workers and other health care personnel.
The LPN is expected to compete all mandatory annual review programs and attend all unit-based staff meetings. Licensed Practical Nurses are expected to participate in educational conferences and updates, and to maintain professional knowledge and skills related to areas of practice.
- Demonstrates knowledge and ability to provide a full range of practical nursing care to patients with a variety of physical and/or behavioral problems.
- Demonstrates the ability to appropriately carry out assigned patient care based on the patients' condition; to use judgment in selecting the appropriate order and sequence of procedures and treatments; and to accurately recognize, report, and document relative patient information.
- Observes, identifies, and responds to the patient's needs for nursing, medication, and equipment assisted care and recognizes deviations from normal.
- Uses practical knowledge of human behavior, motivations, and reactions to situations in working effectively with patients, family, and other staff members.
- Knowledge and skill are sufficient to prepare and administer commonly prescribed oral, topical, subcutaneous, and intramuscular medications.
- Knowledge and ability to recognize the need for and to institute emergency measures when indicated, promptly seek the assistance of the Registered Nurse or the Provider, and assist in the resuscitation procedures in cardiac and or pulmonary arrest.
- Actively seeks out educational opportunities to enhance nursing knowledge and skills, sharing knowledge gained with other staff to improve and advance nursing practice.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/589565400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.