The Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center is recruiting for one (1) candidate for the position of Management Assistant, located in Charleston, SC. The incumbent serves as a Management Assistant in an complex medical facility, which is constantly evolving within a highly complex and competitive geographic area.Learn more about this agency
The purpose of the position is to plan and carry out management assistant assignments or projects to improve the efficiency, effectiveness, and productivity of medical facility organizations.
Major duties include, but are not limited to:
- Controls the maintenance and development of various administrative directives using knowledge of the established content and format requirements and the purposes and functions of the organizations involved.
- Reviews proposed directives to ensure proper arrangement of material, consistency with existing directives, and proper distribution.
- Reviews existing directives to detect and eliminate conflict, overlap, and duplication; and ensures that only current material is retained.
- Devises ways to improve directives by simplifying, consolidating, or eliminating them. Discusses recommendations for changes with the using offices in order to gain concurrence.
- Adapts guidelines to determine whether an organization's proposed directives, publications, or functional statements are within the scope of their established delegated authority or assigned function.
- Monitors the management of records by distributing questionnaires to offices asking for lists of file numbers and corresponding subject content and, using knowledge of agency records management regulations, reviewing the completed questionnaires to ensure material is filed under proper record numbers.
- Inspects the files of offices to ensure that all records are stored and labeled correctly, contain current material, and are not duplicated. If problems exist, the incumbent explains procedures to the office's records coordinator including how to number and store paper, electronic, and other types of records; when to dispose of or transfer records to central holding areas; and how and where to store or destroy classified records.
- Verifies the staff levels of clerical work units.
- Interviews operating personnel to collect information on the quantity, kind, and level of positions in the units. Compares this information to authorized staffing levels to identify unapproved or vacant positions and other similar deviations from established requirements.
- Interviews work unit supervisors to determine if the positions are needed based on current or potential office workload.
- Provides reports to higher level employees describing the problems and recommendations for maintaining or eliminating the positions.
- Makes adaptations to established guidelines in order to evaluate the appropriateness of justifications for changes in clerical staffing levels.
- Monitors and studies the workflow of clerical work units.
- Interviews and observes work unit personnel to collect information concerning duties of employees, lines of supervision, flow of work, and problems encountered. From the collected information, the incumbent designs office layouts and workflow diagrams; and studies this information and the current clerical procedures to determine the causes of workflow problems.
- Reviews established guidelines and precedent cases to identify alternative solutions; and recommends revised procedures the causes of workflow problems.
- Provides reports to higher level employees that describe the causes of workflow problems, specific alternatives to improve the workflow of clerical work units, redesigned office space, and/or new equipment.
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 7:30 am - 4:00 pm
Telework: Not Available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Management Assistant/PD534-95340-O
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/589115600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.