The Deputy Associate Director for Laboratory Programs provides executive leadership for the operations of NIST’s Laboratory Programs and is responsible for the day-to-day administrative, financial, and personnel management of the Special Programs, Standards Coordination and Research Protections Offices within the Associate Director for Laboratory Programs (ADLP) Directorate.Learn more about this agency
The Deputy Associate Director for Laboratory Programs provides executive leadership for the operations of NIST’s Laboratory Programs and is responsible for the day-to-day administrative, financial, and personnel management of the Special Programs, Standards Coordination and Research Protections Offices within the Associate Director for Laboratory Programs (ADLP) Directorate. The incumbent:
- provides the ADLP with expertise in operational processes across the Directorate.
- leads all strategic operational initiatives for the Laboratories and coordinates all operations across the ADLP.
- Serves as the key resource for effective coordination across all NIST Directorates to ensure integrated programs and efforts.
- Assists the ADLP in formulating and implementing strategic plans, policies and processes across the directorate.
As the leader of strategic initiatives within the ADLP, the incumbent designs and manages comprehensive programs that affect the quality of NIST-wide research programs, measurement service programs, and external interactions. He/she provides overall guidance for ensuring that internal and external research program needs are met and monitors the attainment of program goals and objectives as well as program cost effectiveness. He/she consults with the executive staff, where appropriate, and works cooperatively with them throughout all phases of program development and operation. When programs are in conflict or competition, he/she provides the NIST senior leadership with alternatives and predicted results. He/she has broad responsibility to:
- consider key national and organization-wide goals, priorities, and values in executing responsibilities; respond to the general public and clientele groups; remain current on relevant social, political, and economic developments; and represent NIST on complex issues and effectively give briefings, speeches, testimony, etc., to persuade, sell, inform, and/or negotiate plans and programs.
- provide administrative oversight and coordinate the activities of subordinate organizations; serve as a catalyst for innovation and creativity in analyzing and solving complex problems; foster an environment conducive to teamwork and empowerment of supervisors and employees; and promote and encourage diversity in subordinate organizations and throughout NIST.
- oversee the development of short- and long-range plans to meet organizational objectives; establish or revise programs' goals, implement major modifications in organizational or functional structure; and advise on key appointments or promotions to ensure the most efficient organization.
- encourage personal and professional development among subordinates and provide opportunities for individuals to accomplish their goals in relation to NIST.
- serve as acting Associate Director for Laboratory Programs in the absence of the Associate Director.
Under broad policy guidance, the incumbent advises and evaluates all technical research operations across the ADLP; collaborates with other NIST organizations to conduct strategic planning; aligns programs to NIST’s mission and goals; and develops and recommends strategies to NIST’s ADLP and NIST leadership on the effective management of NIST’s research programs. Represents NIST to relevant external organizations and other government agencies.
Occasional travel - Occasional to frequent travel may be required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/589113700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.