Come work for the USPTO, we have been ranked as one of the best places to work in the federal government! The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has been serving the economic interests of America for more than 200 years. We are responsible for granting US intellectual property rights for patents and trademarks. The USPTO is headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, and has over 12,000 employees. For more information about the USPTO, please visit the USPTO Jobs Website.Learn more about this agency
During the current period of maximum telework required by the Agency’s COVID-19 response, telework will be maximized. When it is determined the Agency will be moving to the reopening phase, the expectation will be to physically return to the office at the USPTO – Alexandria, VA campus. Telework days and any waiting period for eligibility will be determined at that time.
This position is located in the Office of the Director, Office of Administrative Services (OAS), under the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO). OAS is responsible for administrating a broad range of administrative and employee support service programs responsive to the needs of the USPTO workforce. In conjunction with the Director, the Deputy Director, OAS oversees programs, missions, and functions of the OAS. The incumbent is responsible to the Director for managing OAS employees in a way that maximizes agency performance.
NOTE: This position is designated as CRITICAL SENSITIVE (3N) and requires clearance at the SECRET level. The position supervises the Security and Safety Division and may need to be briefed regarding classified information (COOP/incidents, etc.)
As the Deputy Director of OAS, the incumbent will be performing the following duties:
- Planning, prioritizing and assigning work; collaborating with peers and subordinates to assure effective advisory services; and otherwise ensuring continuous process towards stated goals. Managing, through subordinate supervisors and staff, budget and real property for the USPTO.
- Serving as primary contact for Department of Commerce data calls relating to sustainability, energy intensity, real property, personal property, mail, security, motor vehicles, etc.
- Managing and coordinating the collective efforts of a multi-disciplined staff of employees participating in planning, directing, integrating, and executing aspects of assigned programs.
- Developing goals and objectives that integrate the Office of Administrative Services and USPTO goals and objectives.
- Establishing, revising, or reviewing policies, procedures, mission objectives and organization design for the staff, as necessary to eliminate work problems or barriers to mission accomplishment, promoting team building, implementing quality improvements, or in response to concerns with regulatory compliance and/or customer requirements.
- Working in conjunction with the Contracting Officer’s Technical Representatives (COTR) to approve terms and conditions set forth in contract negotiations, contracting plans, budgets, and changes to the scope of work to be done by the contractor.
- Representing the Office of Administrative Services at higher levels within USPTO and with contractor organizations. Establishing, developing, and maintaining effective working relationships with key USPTO officials, managers, and supervisor.
- Delivering presentations on program status, accomplishments, problems, requirements for support, and promotion of program objectives to senior management within USPTO, and with executives of corporations holding contracts with the division.
- Establishing time phasing of program elements compatible with USPTO planning objectives. Integrates the need for special projects and initiates milestones and goals.
- Planning, organizing and conducting research on complex issues that involve major areas of uncertainty in approach, methodology, or interpretation to identify appropriate solutions.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/588893500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.