This Medical Technologist position is located in the VISN 12 Pathology & Laboratory Medicine Service at the Rockford VA Clinic located in Rockford, IL.Learn more about this agency
- Performs a broad range of laboratory procedures including all testing and tasks of the medical laboratory technician occupation; performs advanced and complex laboratory procedures; recognizes deviation from expected results; analyzes and corrects problems using scientific principles.
- Evaluates and solves problems related to collection and processing of biological specimens for analysis taking into account physiologic processes and requirements.
- Maintains and documents the optimal functioning of laboratory equipment; uses, calibrates, identifies malfunctions, repairs, and performs preventative maintenance of laboratory equipment. Diagnoses deviations in test performance due to instrument malfunction.
- Performs and documents quality control and assurance activities and corrective actions related to test performance using statistical principals and theories of performance improvement.
- Adheres to practices and regulations governing biosafety and biosecurity in the workplace.
- Answers inquiries regarding test results, methodology, test specificity, test sensitivity, and specific factors, which influence test results. Interprets results and suggests follow-up test selection or procedures.
- Evaluates and implements new techniques and procedures in the laboratory in terms of equipment, method comparison, and establishment of reference intervals using statistical methods and theoretical knowledge. Interprets findings and makes recommendations.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Occasional travel - Rare/Occasional travel may be required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/588611600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.