The VA Fresno Health Care System is recruiting for a Senior Social Worker to serve in the Housing and Urban Development/VA Supportive Housing (HUD/VASH) program within Social Work Service. This position functions as the Medical Center's Liaison/Case Manager and is responsible for monitoring all phases of programming and coordination of case management services for Veterans receiving housing provided through the HUD Section 8 housing vouchers.Learn more about this agency
- Responsible for overseeing all aspects of the HUD-VASH program. The incumbent is responsible for reviewing agreements between Section 8, landlords, Public Housing Authorities and the VA in establishing appropriate referral sites for HUD-VASH placements.
- Performs site visits of HUD-VASH apartments to ensure that Veterans reside in safe environments in compliance with local housing codes.
- Verifies the Veteran's status, eligibility for VA medical care, and eligibility of program participation.
- Responsible for establishing a process for referrals and admissions to the HUD-VASH Program, ensuring that homeless Veterans are considered as primary participants for program acceptance.
- Responsible for collecting and submitting HUD-VASH Program participant data as outlined by NEPEC evaluation procedures.
- Responsible for providing oversight of HUD-VASH case management. Case management is defined as the provision of services by VA clinical staff to homeless Veterans and includes all activities to provide appropriate treatment and maintain Veterans in HUD approved stable housing.
- Participates in the HUD-VASH Program conference calls and attends training offered by the HUD-VASH.
- Responsible for developing and administering local policy and SOP for the HUDVASH Program. This includes maintaining policies and documentation as required for CARF and JCAHO accreditation.
- Participates in program planning and development, advising the supervisor of shifting trends with caseloads and identifying the need for and making recommendations on program procedure or policy changes based upon work experiences.
- Participates in the orientation/teaching of graduate social work/nursing students, students of other disciplines, and Medical Center personnel on the biopsychosocial aspects of homelessness.
- Responsibility for improving professional skills, participating in planning and executing specific staff development projects, attending seminars and institutes, and participating in training programs of other disciplines as requested.
- Performs accountability functions: 1) document all contacts with patients/families in the medical charts; 2) completes statistical, administrative, staffing studies and other reports in accordance with VA Medical Center and respective professional discipline service policies.
- Conduct psychosocial assessments to determine needs of Veterans and family members.
- Participant in the treatment planning process with other disciplines.
- Participate in discharge planning with other disciplines and will be responsible for ensuring that discharge plans are executed in a manner that is timely and appropriate.
- Provide individual, family and group counseling as appropriate.
- Provide consultation/education to Veterans and families on community resources, advance directives and VA benefits.
- Act as a consultant to other team/staff members.
- Provide consultation/education to medical residents on social work practice and VA policy and procedure.
- Act as liaison between VA and community resources, to include marketing and public relation duties as needed.
- Provide case management to Veterans and families, as needed, throughout the continuum of care.
- Provide a full range of social work services within commonly accepted standards of social work practice which includes case work, individual, family and group counseling, discharge planning, case management and other services as appropriate.
- Provide wellness/prevention education and facilitate Patient/family support groups as appropriate.
- Supervise the practice of social work students, or a less experienced social worker.
- Coordinate treatment and communicate with the care lines to facilitate continuity of care for Veterans.
- Participate in committee assignments, as deemed necessary by the service manager.
- Maintain data and statistical compilations to comply with JCAHO, CARF, VA and medical center policy and procedures.
- Assist patients and their significant others with coping and dealing with the loss and grief experiences in disability, terminal illness and death.
- Participate in a rotation of on-call social workers, including modification of tour of duty to accommodate patient care needs on weekends.
- Participate in assessing all Veterans who present through the Walk-in Center for evaluation to the HCHV Program.
- All others duties as assigned.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/587945300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.