The Organized Crime and Gang Section oversees the Department's program to combat organized crime by investigating and prosecuting significant domestic and international organized crime groups in conjunction with Strike Force Units and U.S. Attorney's Offices around the country, and prosecuting Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO), Violent Crimes in Aid of Racketeering (VICAR) and violent crime cases against dangerous street gangs operating on regional and national levels.Learn more about this agency
The Criminal Division, U.S. Department of Justice, is seeking a qualified, experienced attorney for a permanent position in the Organized Crime and Gang Section located in Washington, D.C. The incumbent independently directs, conducts, and monitors investigations, prepares and conducts trials, and advises on strategies and tactics relating to the prosecution of organized crime. As a General Attorney, the incumbent:
- Partners with Assistant U.S. Attorneys ("AUSAs") including Organized Crime Coordinators and Anti-Gang Coordinators, in the development and management of organized crime and gang prosecutions;
- Gives advice and instruction to AUSAs on complicated questions of law and Departmental policy, including assistance in the drafting of charging instruments, motions, briefs, and jury instructions as requested;
- Promotes, in collaboration with OCGS managers, the Section's program to foster effective national investigation and prosecution of organized crime and violent gang crime, including giving advice on strategy and legal complexities, policy, and legislative recommendations;
- Represents the interests of the Department of Justice by fostering communication and coordination between law enforcement agencies, as well as between United States Attorney's Offices (USAOs); and
- Serves as a subject matter expert, participating in, and/or providing advice on, activities related to the statutes and subject matter assigned to OCGS.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/587771300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.