PLEASE NOTE: Based on the current hiring restrictions, selectees may be subject to additional approvals prior to an offer being extended.
The position is in the Office of the Chief Counsel in Washington, DC, working as an attorney advisor concentrating on Administrative Law rendering legal advice to officials on specifically assigned legal matters pertaining to Bureau operations, with a focus on legal matters involving the collection and management of debts owed to the federal government.Learn more about this agency
As an Attorney Advisor, you will:
- Advise, perform legal research and prepare briefings, presentations and legal decision memoranda on matters requiring the interpretation and application of statutes, regulations, court decisions, Departmental precedents, Bureau policies and technical publications involving many fields of law related to Bureau operations, including a focus on legal issues involving the collection and management of debts owed to the federal government under the Debt Collection Improvement Act of 1996, as amended, and similar authorities.
- Ensure that uniform, proper interpretations of statutes and regulations are made and that any recommendations support senior management’s strategic plans.
- Provide legal advice and counsel on audit engagements and oversight matters involving bureau programs and operations.
- Draft legislation, regulations, notices, and publications involving bureau operations.
- Provide counsel on position papers and other documentation involving bureau initiatives and operations, including in the context of agency meetings with external stakeholders.
- Conduct discovery and prepares pleadings and briefs. Recommend, negotiate and draft settlement agreements.
- Provide technical assistance and information to the U.S. Department of Justice by preparing litigation reports, pleadings, affidavits and briefs.
- Provide legal advice in disciplinary actions, labor-management relations and EEO.
- Represent the Bureau in EEO administrative proceedings.
Occasional travel - occasional, as needed
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/587119500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.