This position is located at the VA Long Beach Healthcare System with the Environmental Management Service (EMS) as a Material Handler receiving various assignments that support the needs of EMS and the Medical Center.Learn more about this agency
- Specialized knowledge and the ability to read simple assembly diagrams, manufacturer's drawings, and blueprints.
- Perform general warehouse procedure and storage areas to be able to place or pull stock/furniture and materials in accordance with EMS standard operating procedures.
- Use computer terminal equipment when required and related to the stock/furniture movement within the service.
- Operate large material moving equipment inside and outside buildings as required, always ensuring safety precaution/measures are exercised and met.
- Use manual dollies, electrical jacks, and hand tools used in warehouse tasks such as hammers, strapping and stretch wrapping tools and equipment, metal band sheers, and other related equipment.
- Ability to pick up or deliver stock items from storage areas.
- The Incumbent will be doing considerable lifting, carrying, and relocating of furniture and equipment weighing as much as 20-70 lbs., such as chairs, desks, file cabinets, bookcases, sofas, and some medical equipment.
- The incumbent will be required to drive a motor vehicle and will be regularly exposed to dust, exhaust fumes, smog, and traffic noise. In addition, frequently exposed to congested and slow-moving traffic conditions.
- Simple routine tasks are performed without supervision after they are learned.
- Have good working knowledge of the manned and unmanned electromechanical devices and systems used such as multipack induction conveyors and robotic pallet manipulators.
- Will be handling specialized hazardous materials and must have knowledge and skills required for the safe handling, storage and movement of materials handled.
- Responsible for document processing and verification of the quantity and condition of materials and equipment handled.
- Follow established methods and procedures, and spot check work upon completion for accuracy, adherence to procedures, thoroughness and results.
- Operate forklift trucks, tugs, manned storage and retrieval vehicles, and high-rise platform lifts in which may operate in narrow and constricted warehouses aisles.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday / 7:00AM - 3:30PM
Position Description Title/PD#:PD12447A
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not authorized N/A
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/585427500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.