Serves as a Medical Technologist (Molecular Pathology/Microbiology) for PLMS at the Southeast Louisiana VHS in New Orleans. An MT/CLS at this level performs, evaluates, interprets, correlates and validates the accuracy of laboratory procedures and results. Testing procedures are performed on a variety of biological specimens and/or environmental samples using manual or automated techniques and require a broad exercise of independent judgment and responsibility with minimal technical supervision.Learn more about this agency
- Performs a broad range of laboratory procedures including all testing and tasks of the medical laboratory technology occupation. In addition, performs advanced and complex laboratory procedures in the Microbiology/Molecular Pathology Section; recognizes deviation from expected results; analyzes and corrects problems using scientific principles.
- Incumbent is responsible for pre-analytical steps of receiving clinical specimens from various sources and assessing specimen quality and acceptability for performing various tests including but not limited to PCR, culture set up, and specimen testing/analysis.
- Follows standard operating procedures (SOP) in all areas to ensure accuracy of laboratory results; verifies and reports results in a timely manner and communicates critical results per laboratory policy.
- Maintains and documents the optimal functioning of laboratory equipment and immediately informs the Section Supervisor of any deviations or malfunctions. Uses, calibrates, repairs and performs preventive maintenance of laboratory equipment. Recognizes deviations in test performance due to instrument malfunction, initiates corrective action and informs the Section Supervisor.
- Performs the full range of Molecular Pathology, and Molecular Microbiology testing Bacteriology
,and Serology tests.
- Performs COVID-19 testing on all available platforms to include instrument/test validation/verification, IQCP, specimen assessment, specimen testing, quality control, review of validity of result data, and correlates information to report results or perform additional testing to confirm abnormality of results.
- Performs fecal occult blood testing, viral load testing, genotyping, PCR, NGS, and cancer gene mutation testing.
- Performs and documents quality control to assure reagents, equipment, humidity and temperatures are within recommended guidelines. Performs quality assurance activities and initiates corrective actions related to instrument functions and test performance; incorporates statistical principles and theories of performance improvement in the workplace.
- Incumbent reviews and correlates analytical data to verify validity and accuracy of findings and accurately verifies laboratory test results using laboratory data processing software and laboratory SOPs. Incumbent screens all test results to detect discrepancies, artifacts or possible contamination and initiates additional testing as necessary.
- Maintains the confidentiality of medical records by adhering to applicable HIPPA and ADP guidelines for all patient medical data.
- Answers inquiries regarding test results, methodology, test specificity, test sensitivity and specific factors which influence test results. Interprets results and suggests follow-up test selection or procedures.
- Incorporates principles of educational methodologies in the instruction and training of new employees, students, Pathology residents, and clinicians on theoretical and practical aspects of test performance. This may include, but is not limited to procedures, instrument function, quality control, quality management and reporting of test results.
- Communicates effectively and courteously while working as a healthcare team member. Organizes work and sets priorities to meet deadlines.
- Follows safety policies, universal precautions, and uses personal protective equipment (PPE) as required for the task being performed and per safety policies; adheres to practices and regulations governing biosafety and biosecurity in the workplace.
- Manages inventory to ensure patient testing is not interrupted and utilizes laboratory supplies in a cost-effective manner with a minimum of waste.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/585110700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.