This position is located within the Communications and Community Development section of the VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System (VA ECHCS), Office of the Director, Department of Veterans Affairs. The Public Relations Specialist serves as Deputy Public Affairs Officer and will support not only all of VA ECHCS but will have a physical presence in the Southern Colorado region.Learn more about this agency
The Public Affairs Specialist maintains proactive contacts with media outlets, legislative offices, veteran service organizations and health care affiliates. Actively pitches and places stories with local and national media outlets. Advises senior level management on development of media campaigns, communication plans, and strategies, as appropriate. Plans web-based, multimedia and video materials to convey information about VA to a variety of stakeholders. Serves as content manager of VA ECHCS's Internet and Intranet as they pertain to Southern Colorado, their catchment and their services offered, and the entire health care system as needed. Other duties include, but not limited to , the following:
- Evaluates information from a variety of sources and provides feedback to senior management on public affairs trends and stakeholder attitudes.
- Coordinates with the VA ECHCS public affairs officer to assure effective management of staff assets.
- Develops and disseminates management reports, provides public relations and consumer affairs system oversight for the Southern Colorado region and its component sites.
- Serves as key spokesperson and media liaison and as such, is the point of contact for local, state and national media, the liaison for Veterans Service Organizations (VSO), congressional staffs, community groups, professional organizations, etc.
- Participates at public, civic or social events.
- Analyzes internal communication needs and develops publications or other informational materials for staff, patients, volunteers and others.
- Prepares and coordinates special events, patient newsletters, educational brochures, videos, public service announcements and other effective tools for a positive public relations program.
- Facilitates communication with external and Internal stakeholders and monitors the critical elements of the health care center public relations performance.
- Independently plans, implements and evaluates information programs, coordinating them with VA Central Office (VACO), VSOs, congressional offices, and staff.
- Coordinates special projects at the direction of the VA ECHCS Director.
- Advises and makes recommendations to the health Care system Director regarding the handling of media and community issues or concerns that have possible implications on the health care system.
- Prepares speeches for the Director upon request and provides other members of leadership relevant material for public presentation upon request.
- Initiates public relations campaigns based on issues, which are important to becoming the Employer of Choice.
- Evaluates the effectiveness and efficiency of public information programs for internal communications, media and community relations.
- Prepares news releases and photos for submission to regional and local publications and electronic media.
- Provides expertise in planning and implementation of special events, ceremonies, open houses, tours and other activities.
Compressed/Flexible: Not Available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Public Affairs Specialist/PD125180
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/584078700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.