Join one of the 24 Institutes and Centers within the NIH that awards extramural grants! Extramural grants account for approximately 80 percent of NIH's budget and are awarded to investigators at more than 2,500 universities, medical schools, and other research organizations around the world. To learn more about the grants process, types of grant programs, and the peer review process, visit the website for the Office of Extramural Research.Learn more about this agency
This announcement will be used to fill the following positions within the NIH:
Health Scientist Administrator (Program Officer)
As a Health Scientist Administrator (Program Officer), you will perform the following tasks:
- Perform scientific and administrative reviews and analyses of applications/proposals from a programmatic viewpoint.
- Consult with and advise grantees/contractors during preparation of applications/proposals and provide guidance on program issues.
- Develop, coordinate and administer grants, cooperative agreements, and contracts established to fulfill the mission of the Branch and Division.
- Visit universities, research institutions, commercial organizations, other government agencies, and public and private organizations to promote and explain the objectives of the program.
As a Health Scientist Administrator (Scientific Review Officer), you will perform the following tasks:
- Provide policy direction and coordination for the planning and execution of initial scientific and technical review conducted within the Institute or Center.
- Utilize scientific knowledge and expertise to perform a variety of management functions associated with the scientific peer review of IC research, research training support activities and other contract activities.
- Manage the initial scientific and administrative review of grant, program project grant, and training grant applications as well as research project applications submitted in response to requests for applications.
- Appoint and manage review panels, including the identification of qualified reviewers to evaluate all applications and proposals and make any recommendations from IC and NIH program officials, to assemble a balanced group of experts and consultants.
- Act as the sole Federal official and agency representative by guiding the activities of a review committee and ensuring continuity in their approach toward evaluating applications, proposals, and adherence to peer review policies and procedures.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/583650300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.