You will serve as a Medical Technician in the Pathology & Laboratory Medicine Service (PLMS) at the VA Puget Sound Health Care System (VAPSHCS), American Lake Division, Tacoma, and 3 Micro Clinics: Edmonds, Olympia and Puyallup, WashingtonLearn more about this agency
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 emergency, this vacancy is posted under the authority of 5 U.S.C. 7106(a)(2)(D) and in exception to existing labor agreements.
NOTE: if selected you will be expected to perform waived to moderate complexity laboratory testing and perform nasal and throat swab collections.
- You will collect and handle specimens in accordance with the Federal Workplace Drug Testing Program as administered and regulated by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) for drug testing of new employees.
- You will maintain the integrity of the collection process, ensuring the privacy of the donor, and ensuring the security of the specimen.
- You will correctly identify each patient, using at least two valid acceptable patient identifiers as required.
- You will use the computer to perform searches for past and future lab test orders for all patients.
- You will use independent judgment to assess patient collection sites and determine the best to obtain sample.
- You will collect blood specimens by routine venipuncture from outpatients and in-patients.
- You will draw appropriate number and type of tubes of blood, ensuring the tubes meet quality and volume standards required for optimum clinical sampling.
- You will ensure and verify correct labeling and patient identification of every patient specimen collected.
- You will prepare specimens for testing, such as labeling, centrifugation, decanting, aliquoting, and prepare reagents, perform the test procedure, verify the accuracy of the results and reports results.
- You will operate centrifuge.
Promotion Potential: The selectee may be promoted to the full performance level without further competition when all regulatory, qualification, and performance requirements are met. Selection at a lower grade level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level.
Full Time: Day Shift Multiple Tours available, rotating weekends and holidays
Full Time: Evening Shift 1530-0000, rotating weekends and holidays
Part Time: Monday - Friday 1700-2100 (20 hours per week)
Telework: Not Available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: MEDICAL TECHNICIAN (PHLEBOTOMIST) / PD41340-A, PD41341-A, PD41340A, PD41244A, PD41341A, PD41341-A, PD41340A, and PD41340-A
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
25% or less - You may be expected to travel to other locations (such as: Edmonds, Olympia, Puyallup, Tacoma or Seattle) for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/582792900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.