This vacancy is part of the Wilkes-Barre VA Medical Center's Mental Health Clinic unit in Allentown.Learn more about this agency
The incumbent will be responsible for directing and delivering quality nursing care to a culturally diverse Veteran population with mental health needs. She/he will exhibit excellent leadership skills through charge nurse duties by directing patient care, patient flow, and staff assignments, and will be expected to effectively communicate and interact with patients and their families in order to help them with problem solving and developing coping skills. Further, she/he will participate with interdisciplinary treatment planning processes; conduct nursing clinics and group processes; and provide collaborative training to newly hired staff at the Mental Health Clinic. The selected candidate must maintain an active Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification. In the scope of clinical responsibilities, she/he will;
- Interview patients, obtains vital signs, and prepare patients for visit with provider;
- Evaluate the patient's needs, latent abilities, and social networks; screen and identify patients for appropriate case management, provides health assessments, and facilitates access to appropriate health care based on patients' needs.
- Conduct telephone triage and provide the necessary patient direction and education.
- Function as patient educator with an emphasis on preventative health and wellness topics and disease specific initiatives.
- Administer and document medication; monitor lab data and diagnostic testing, and report findings to the Medical Director accordingly.
- Complete all clinical reminders, assist with appointment scheduling, patient follow-up and discharge follow-up as necessary.
- Provide immediate nursing intervention in all emergency situations and be able to make emergent decisions regarding the safety of the patient, staff, and others as well as decisively respond to emergent situations involving suicidal or violent patients.
- Serve as liaison for medical and/or psychiatric concerns and initiate referrals as necessary.
- Function within established protocols including strict adherence to infection control policies.
- Implement health promotions and preventative interventions, manages acute and chronic illness states, assists patients in the attainment of optimal levels of functionality through rehabilitation and other supportive measures.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00AM - 4:30PM
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/582750100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.