The incumbent practices as a Licensed Practical Nurse on High Intensity Psychiatric Unit in Mental Health. The LPN is responsible for the provision of nursing services for patients and works in the Inpatient Psychiatric setting in accordance to VHA standards of care.Learn more about this agency
Duties include but not limited to:
- Implementation of approved policies and procedures; completion of required documentation in accordance with VHA, JCAHO, SOARS regulatory and accreditation requirements.
- Assist the RN with ensuring completion of a comprehensive bio-psycho-social assessment through information gathering.
- Participates in completion, documentation and implementation of treatment plan for patients; functions as an integral member of the treatment team and assumes responsibility for assisting with completion of assessments for patients admitted to HIPU.
- Coordinates and assist the physician/nurse practitioner/registered nurse with medical aspects of patient's care.
- Makes notification and referrals to appropriate discipline(s) based on assessed needs.
- Supports the mission and vision of inpatient unit. E.g. provides education and counseling on disease prevention, health promotion, and medication management; also conducts collection of specimen
- Provides care to patients with a multiplicity of disease processes within the scope of licensed practical/vocational nurse license and provides for continuity of patient care.
- Contributes to the provisions of optimum nursing care in accordance with the overall plan of Nursing Service, under the supervision of the professional nurse, by carrying out the following activities.
- Assists the Registered Nurse in the coordination of patient care activities with other departments by preparing patients physically for scheduled tests/procedures.
- Provides customer focused nursing care to patients with a variety of physical, emotional and/or behavioral problems.
- Demonstrates high level of customer service and uses courtesy with each interaction.
- Serves as a responsible member of the interdisciplinary and nursing team, maintaining effective interactions with patients /significant others and support personnel who provide care.
- Serves as a leader in recovery aspects of care to include patient teaching, motivation, reality orientation, reminiscence and other therapies as assigned, consistent with the Interdisciplinary Treatment Plan.
- Participates in team conferences in planning patient care, updating care plans, and discharge planning including health teaching to patients/families in relation to common disease processes, medication, and/or prescribed treatment regimes.
- Observes, reports and documents current observations such as patients' physical condition, emotional response and results of procedures, observe skin conditions, variations in vital signs, personal habits of patients, and listen for clues, obvious and subtle, to patients reaction to illness and treatment which have relevance to the health status of the patient.
- Recognize the need for and initiates emergency measures in psychiatric crises, assist in controlling patients during "Code Green" episodes.
- Assists the RN by collecting data for the completion of an initial structured assessment, reassessment of transfers and discharges.
- Assists selected patients with a range of motion, ambulating, positioning and self-help activities of daily living.
- Escort patients to appointments, off-station activities such as community and veteran service sponsored activities.
- Checks narcotics, certifying correctness with the off-going and/or on-coming Registered Nurse.
- Assumes responsibility for continuity of patient care for other patients while the RN is involved in emergency responses.
- Other duties as assigned.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/582744700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.