What General Information Do I Need To Know About This Position?Learn more about this agency
This is an interdisciplinary position that may be filled as a Biologist or Physical Scientist.
This position is being advertised concurrently with the following announcements: Open to all U.S. citizens under: USGS-RES-20-10919784-DE-DG
As a Supervisory Interdisciplinary Biologist or Physical Scientist (Deputy Director) within the Upper Midwest Environment Science Center (UMESC), some of your specific duties will include:
- Assists the Center Director in the management of a broad, multi-disciplinary program of biological research, inventory and monitoring, and information management. Responsible for advising the Center Director on and recommending the course and conduct of future research, development, administration, facilities and technical support activities.
- Supervises assigned Center staff and assists the Center Director to provide leadership and guidance to branch managers, senior scientists, administrative staff, etc. in planning, staffing, budgeting for, and coordinating the Center's programs. Counsels employees on both work and administrative matters; resolves complaints and assists the Center Director in resolving disciplinary actions.
- Assists the Center Director in certifying the overall scientific merit of the Center's programs and for overseeing consistent application of Department and Bureau policy regarding safety, human capital (fair employment, equal opportunity, training and development),facility management, information technology management, and communications.
- Assists the Center Director in planning, coordinating and implementing natural resource partnerships with federal (particularly U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, National Park Service), tribal, state and local government agencies and institutions, academic institutions, nongovernmental organizations and private entities interested in the status and management of biological resources. Represents UMESC in meetings with potential partners to determine their research needs, share information, and to report pertinent results and findings.
- Interprets Region, Mission Area, Bureau, and Departmental policy and directives to determine implications for Center programs and recommends actions to implement the policy/directive at Center level.
- Operates a government owned or leased vehicle as an incidental driver.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel on average Less then 5 nights per month for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/582687800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.