The position is located with USDA Forest Service Northern Regional 4 on a wildland fire crew . The purpose of the position is wildland fire suppression/management/control as a specialized firefighter with responsibility for the operation and maintenance of specialized tools or equipment.Learn more about this agency
For additional information about the duties of this position, please contact Matt Nielsen, Matthew.email@example.com
See ADDITIONAL INFORMATION section for details.
- Performs as a member of a fire crew assigned to suppress the full range of difficulty and complexity of fires. Cleans, reconditions, and stores fire tools and equipment.
- Loads helicopter cargo and completes manifest of crews and equipment. Observes, records, and preserves evidence of cause of fires. Rappels from hovering helicopter near ground level.
- May perform project work such as road and trail maintenance, habitat manipulation, and miscellaneous equipment and facilities maintenance. Builds fireline and lays or directs hose. Patrols areas of controlled fires to 'mop-up'.
- May assist higher level workers in forestry/range research efforts; in the marketing of forest/range resources; or in the scientific management, protection, and development of forest/range resources.
- Participates in wildland fire and safety training in the techniques, practices, and methods of fire suppression and in the safe, efficient operation and use of tools, equipment, and vehicles used in fireline activities.
- Loads helicopter personnel and cargo considering methods, weight distribution, necessity for securing, total weight, etc. and completes manifests of personnel and equipment being transported to the fire or other work site.
- Performs wildfire suppression support as directed within training and physical and other duties as assigned.
- Duties listed are at full performance grade GS-05 level.
Occasional travel - You may be expected overnight travel as required for fire suppression or fire related assignments.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/582669400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.