This position will support the Federal Government's response efforts to COVID-19.This position is for a Registered Nurse (RN) on all units of the Hampton VA Medical Center. RN is directly responsible to the Nurse Manager and will be accountable for the provision of direct patient care and for the delivery of quality nursing care to a culturally diverse population with complex needs. Must possess knowledge and skills to effectively apply all aspects of the nursing process.Learn more about this agency
RN's could be utilized as a resource in multiple areas of the facility including: Intensive Care Unit, Med Surg, COVID unit, Inpatient Mental Health, Community Living Center and to assist with vaccine administration program in the outpatient clinics.
You maybe required to float to various locations through out the facility. The following duties and responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Applies problem-solving skills at the program level, leading to improved care.
- Involves others in improving care through a variety of professional roles.
- Effectively guides/directs others who provide a full range of nursing care to patients with complex and specialized care needs.
- Accurately documents in the medical record patient findings, assessments, and care provided.
- Administers prescribed therapies using appropriate judgment.
- Administers medication in accordance with established procedures/policy.
- Initiates referrals to other disciplines and/or services as appropriate.
- Provides leadership in identifying and addressing ethical issues that impact patient and staff, including initiating and participating in ethics consultations.
- Practices in a nonjudgmental, discriminatory manner and is sensitive to diversity.
- Demonstrates knowledge and compliance of Ethical Resolution Process.
- Assumes responsibility and accountability for all professional nursing actions.
- Skilled inpatient assessment with the ability to communicate appropriate concerns regarding patient's condition based on sound theoretical and technical basis.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to apply theories of aging as a scientific basis for practice.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate Gerontological theories in their nursing practice.
- Skilled in preventive maintenance, restorative, rehabilitative and palliative nursing care.
- Psychosocial assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of health care needs and care of specific patients and families/significant others.
- Restraint or seclusion treatment modalities are applied by nursing staff if patient is a danger to self or others.
- Order emergent diagnostic test such as Radiologist - x-rays; Laboratory - blood gases, CBC, Electrolyte; Electrocardiogram- (12 lead).
- Interpret cardiac arrhythmia and administer appropriate drugs per physician orders.
- IVs and approved IV medication administration.
- Initiate use of pressure infusers per physician orders.
- Identify indications for temporary pacemaker, mode selection, rhythm recognitions, interpret pacemaker functions and properly adjust temporary pacemaker settings.
- Titration of ordered medication according to establish parameters.
- Assist with cardio-version.
- Assist with insertion of hemodynamic monitoring and analyzing and interpretation of cardiac profiles and wave-forms.
- CVP monitoring; management and care of PICC line; management and care of recovery patients.
- Manages care of patient on mechanical ventilation following policy/protocols.
Tour of Duty: All Shifts
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/582377600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.