The Lead Medical Records Technician (Coder) position is located in the Health Information Management (HIM) section of the Business Operations Service (BOS) at the Kansas City, VA Medical Center (KCVAMC). Incumbent reviews coding and assists coders in improving coding accuracy; provides coding guidance to various levels of staff to promote consistency in practice and compliance with coding rules and regulations; and initiates various reports and analyzes data.Learn more about this agency
Major duties include, but are not limited to:
- Selects and assigns codes from the current version of several coding systems to include the International Classification of Diseases-Clinical Modification (ICD-10-CM and ICD 10-PCS), Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), Current Procedural Terminology (CPT), and HCPCS.
- Adheres to accepted coding practices, guidelines and conventions when choosing the most appropriate diagnosis, operation, procedure, ancillary, or Evaluation and Management code.
- Performs a comprehensive review of the patient record to abstract medical, surgical, ancillary, demographic, social, and administrative data to ensure complete data capture.
- Orients and instructs new personnel and/or students from affiliated health information or medical record technology programs, at the direction of the supervisor, on unit operations, coding, abstracting, and use of an electronic health record.
- Works within a team environment; supports peers in meeting goals and deadlines; flexible and handles multiple tasks; works under pressure; and copes with frequently changing projects and deadlines.
- Codes inpatient professional fee services for identified inpatient admissions in support of the Medical Care Cost Recovery (MCCR) program.
This position may be eligible for Telework/Remote/Virtual Work. Determination to be made by the supervisor for the position.
Functional Statement Title/#: Lead Medical Records Technician (Coder), GS-675-09
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/582201600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.