Explore a new career with the BLM - where our people are our greatest natural resource.Learn more about this agency
This position is located in Safford AZ.
Information about Safford and the surrounding area can be found at Safford, AZ
We expect to fill one (1) vacancy/vacancies at this time; however, additional positions may be filled from this announcement if they become available.
- Develops and recommends plans and schedules for prescribed fire, wildfire response, and fuels treatment projects.
- Plans, conducts surveys and evaluates data to develop prescriptions for prescribed fire and wildfire response.
- Plans and conducts project assessments which determine the presence or absence of hazardous wildland fuels.
- Implements and participates in the prescribed fire operations, ensuring that preparation, ignition, holding, mop-up, and rehabilitation are completed to the standards specified and in accordance with regulations, policies, and guidelines.
- Conducts fuels management inventories and monitoring to document presence, amount, and types of hazardous fuels.
- Conducts field reconnaissance of prescribed fire/fuels treatment units, summarizes field findings, and makes recommendations on appropriate prescriptive criteria for meeting land management objectives.
- Provides assistance in program direction, planning, budgeting, managing wildfire suppression, fuels management, and prescribed fire programs. Researches the behavior of prescribed fire, assist with fire management objectives and strategies.
- Evaluates prescription treatments, monitoring methods, and new technologies and, as appropriate, makes refinements to improve the organization's effectiveness.
- Identifies and provides for training needs to support prescribed fire and fuels management programs. Responsible for the on-the-job safety and health for self and other employees.
- Creates a work environment that respects, appreciates, and accepts the contributions and perspectives of all employees.
- Provides for crew safety and welfare and implements a training program in compliance with applicable requirements.
50% or less - You will be expected to travel for fire assignments and training.
9 - Selection will be made at the GS-8 or GS-9. The full performance level is GS-09. Promotion is at the discretion of the supervisor.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/582065700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.