This position is located at the main campus of the Southern Arizona VA Healthcare System in Tucson, Arizona within Nutrition and Food Services The primary purpose of the Food Service Worker position is to support the food service operations provided to Veterans. This position is that of a full-time or part-time Food Service Worker, working and rotating through positions on all shifts.Learn more about this agency
ResponsibilitiesThe following description covers the duties of an employee assigned in the category of a Food Service Worker, working and rotating through WG-2 positions on either the early or late shifts; days off vary. The employee may do several or all of the following duties as assigned, all following established standards and procedures.
- Sets up tray assembly areas and/or cafeterias with hot and cold food items and other items as needed (i.e., trays, napkins, etc.). Replenishes items as needed and/or as scheduled.
- Serves on tray assembly and/or in cafeteria areas by accurately placing specific foods, utensils and beverages on patient trays as indicated by tray tickets. Accuracy and timeliness are monitored.
- Breaks down and cleans assigned area when the meal service is finished.
- Prepares trays and nourishments according to selected menu items and places in cart for delivery.
- Picks up and returns soiled trays and dishes to the dish room after meals. Assists in unloading food from delivery carts.
- Delivers meal trays, tube feedings and nourishments to the patient's bedside, wards, clinics, dining room, etc. in accordance with the guidelines. Reports any problems, complaints, or comments to supervisor, dietitian, or nursing.
- Provides customer service by being kind, understanding and compassionate to patients, coworkers, hospital personnel and guests at all times.
- Prepares beverages according to the number of servings required.
- Apportions other food items (e.g., gelatin, drinks, desserts, etc.) into standard serving sizes using proper utensils and storage containers.
- Makes cold sandwiches using prepared ingredients and packs box/sack lunches. Assembles salad type items (fruit or greens) and prepared dressings.
- Prepares unit stocks in accordance with guidelines.
- Assists in ingredient control, as assigned.
- Sets up and operates a mechanical dishwasher, including the continuous conveyor belt feeding dishwasher. Removes and inspects doors, strainer pans, screens, and spray arms for preventive maintenance and cleaning. Replenishes dishwasher chemicals and monitors and logs temperatures, reports discrepancies in operations of machine to the Supervisor.
- Sets up and operates pots and pan washing. Maintains appropriate chemical sanitation levels. Monitors and logs chemical levels before each use. Scrapes, soaks, scours, and scrubs the heavier cooking utensils such as mixing bowls and pots, which because of their large size and
weight, may be awkward to handle.
- Performs heavy-duty cleaning tasks throughout the food service and related areas, such as cleaning exhaust hoods; cleaning spaces under and behind kitchen equipment, including moving the equipment (carts, etc.); washing floors and walls; cleaning drains; cleaning food carts; cleaning pulper; cleaning walk in refrigerators and freezers; sanitizing garbage receptacles, and other cleaning tasks as assigned.
- Moves heavy garbage cans when collecting and transferring trash from the work area to the disposal area.
- Complies with all safety/fire prevention rules/regulations, using protective equipment when required and provided. Promptly reports all accidents and notifies supervisor of unsafe/unhealthful conditions in the workplace. Attends scheduled training sessions and participates in facility or service level safety promotions as directed by supervisor. Knows fire drill and emergency plans for work area, including location of all emergency fire equipment.
- Ensures entry into the personal computer/ computer system under his/ her access and verify code is limited to his/ her use only.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: Full-Time, Days off vary, Rotating Shifts
Position Description Title/PD#: Food Service Worker/ PD12695A
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/581951700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.