The Assistant Nurse Manager (ANM) demonstrates a high level of clinical expertise, and creative approaches to the management of complex care. The ANM demonstrates aspiring leadership traits and has a strong desire for a nursing leadership path. The ANM's primary responsibilities include the day to day operations of the unit in the support of the unit's frontline clinical staff.Learn more about this agency
Edward Hines, Jr. VA Hospital is a Level 1a major interdisciplinary teaching facility with service-lines serving medical, surgical, and neurological inpatients and outpatients, with a comprehensive adult Emergency Department, and multiple community-based outpatient clinics (CBOC).
- The ANM is a registered professional nurse who reports to the Nurse Manager and supports all unit staff.
The ANM collaborates and communicates with all members of the healthcare team and provides guidance to staff when necessary.
- The ANM is responsible for contributing to the establishment and implementation of evidenced based nursing standards of practice, creates a positive work environment which enhances care delivery and professional development of clinically competent staff.
- Creates, promotes, demonstrates, and ensures a culturally diverse workforce in which the values and needs of all individuals are respected.
- Functions as a supervisor and assumes accountability for the operation of the designated unit. This includes assisting in the management, supervision, and evaluation of care delivered by nursing and other allied health care staff as well as providing direct patient care, supporting staff needs and promoting just culture.
- Other responsibilities may include assisting with the hiring process, time and leave functions as well as acting as a resource to clinical staff regarding competencies and other clinical and administrative activities of the unit.
- The ANM is involved with frontline staff in education, competency, coaching/mentoring, professional development and other supportive roles.
- The ANM's focus is to promote optimal, safe patient care while ensuring appropriate patient flow and responsible resource3 management.
- Requirements of the ANM role is the necessary skills to identify and assist in providing oversight in the areas of Human Resources under the direction of the Nurse Manager (NM).
- The ANM is accountable for the 24/7 operations of the unit in the absence of the NM. The ANM will have specific responsibilities outlined in special care areas.
- Provides care and counseling of persons or in the promotion and maintenance of health and prevention of illness and injury based upon the nursing process which includes systematic data gathering, assessment, appropriate nursing judgment, and evaluation of human responses to actual or potential health problems through such services as case finding, health teaching, health counseling; provision of care supportive to or restorative of life and well-being; and executing medical regimens including administering medications and treatments prescribed by a licensed or otherwise legally authorized provider (Illinois Board of Nursing). The nurse's primary commitment is to the patient, whether an individual, family, group, or community (ANA Code of Ethics for Nurses).
Work Schedule: Typical hours Monday thru Friday, 11:00 AM-7:30 PM, variability in tour may apply
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/581854300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.