The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has an immediate need to employ residents of Lake Charles, LA as temporary local hires to assist with disaster response and recovery efforts. Local hire employees are local residents who aid in the recovery of the community and help their fellow citizens in the recovery process. Apply for this exciting opportunity!Learn more about this agency
View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling on those who want to help protect American interests and secure our Nation. DHS Components work collectively to prevent terrorism; secure borders and our transportation systems; protect the President and other dignitaries; enforce and administer immigration laws; safeguard cyberspace; and ensure resilience to disasters. We achieve these vital missions through a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
When disaster strikes, America looks to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.
Local Hire employees:
- Help FEMA respond to, recover from and mitigate all hazards by performing a variety of emergency management functions which are not limited to disaster survivor assistance, conducting and verifying damage assessments, and providing administrative, financial and logistical support.
- A local hire’s term of employment is 120 days. Local Hire appointments may be extended, in 120 day increments, for a maximum 365 day appointment, based on the needs of the disaster.
- Work within 23 different Cadres which are groups of personnel organized by operational function and FEMA Qualification System (FQS) position.
- Each Local Hire is hired to a position within a Cadre based on his or her skills and experience.
FEMA is seeking candidates with experience in Civil Rights compliance.
In this position, you will be responsible for implementing Civil Rights compliance in connection with programs and services provided by FEMA. Typical assignments include:
- Developing a civil rights focused culture throughout programs and activities conducted directly by FEMA, contractors on behalf of FEMA, and those receiving financial assistance.
- Ensuring equitable and impartial delivery of FEMA's programs and services through planning, project management and organizing tools to provided civil rights compliant data analyses to leadership.
- Pursuing opportunities to build sustainable, long term relationships with external stakeholders, private and not for profit organizations, FEMA directorates, and other federal agencies.
- Administering the agency's civil rights compliance and enforce procedures outlined within several authorities including; the Civil Rights Act, the Rehabilitation Act, and the Age discrimination Act of 1975.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/581801400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.