This position is located within a National Forest, on a fire crew as a crewmember within the fire management organization. The purpose of the position is wildland fire suppression/management/control as a specialized firefighter with responsibility for the operation and maintenance of specialized tools or equipment.Learn more about this agency
Incumbent is subject to medical screening and must meet the Federal Wildland Firefighter Medical Qualification Standards for arduous duty wildland firefighting.
- Helitack Work 60% : Independently performs recurring fire suppression duties on a helitack crew as a senior firefighter. Loads helicopter personnel and cargo considering methods, weight distribution, necessity for securing, total weight, etc
- Completes manifests of personnel and equipment being transported to the fire or other work site. Inventories and inspects helicopter accessories, fire tools, and equipment.
- Assures that needed tools and equipment are available for firefighting tasks. May exit helicopter in remote areas to construct helispots, or to attack small fires, hot spots and spot fires.
- Certified in the use of long line external loads and the operation and maintenance of accessory equipment. May serve as a certified rappeller.
- Gathers and considers information on weather data, topography, fuel types, and fire behavior in responding to wildland fire incidents.
- When positioning and deploying personnel and equipment, recommends best approaches and practices to use in protection of the values at risk
- Responsible for operation and maintenance of specialized equipment used to respond to wildland and prescribed fire situations. Accomplishes emergency repairs as necessary to permit continued use of equipment.
- In those instances when the apparatus cannot be used effectively in suppressing the fire, the incumbent takes aggressive control action in attacking the fire, using other means.
- Participates in wildland fire and safety training in the techniques, practices, and methods of fire suppression and in the safe, efficient operation and use of tools, equipment, and vehicles used in fireline activities.
- Participates in crew proficiency checks and drills, safety sessions, and fire critiques. Ensures own and other's welfare and safety in all aspects of the assignment. May be qualified as a Forest Service short-hauler.
- Additional Duties 40%: Serves as an experienced firefighter on a hand crew or other related fire suppression crews performing fire suppression and/or fuels management duties under the most adverse conditions of climate, fuels, and terrain.
- May inventory fuel beds, prepare associated reports, perform hazard fuel reduction projects, monitor burning conditions, pile vegetation debris.
- Act in assigned positions such as ignition or holding specialist or other designated positions during actual fuel reduction efforts by prescribed fire. May perform project work such as road and trail maintenance and habitat manipulation.
- May assist higher level workers in forestry/range research efforts; in the marketing of forest/range resources; or in the scientific management, protection, and development of forest/range resources.
- WORK CAPACITY TEST (WCT) for Wildland Firefighters: This position participates in wildland firefighting activities. Based on the type of work performed, TAKING and PASSING the WCT at the ARDUOUS level is a ''condition of employment.''
- The Arduous fitness (Pack) Test requires completing a three (3) mile hike within forty-five (45) minutes, while carrying a forty-five (45) pound pack.
- In accordance with USDA Department Regulation 4430-792-2, this position is a Testing Designated Position (TDP) under the USDA Drug Free Workplace Program and subject to pre-employment drug testing.
- All applicants selected for this position will be required to submit to a urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment.
- Incumbents of this position will be required to submit to a urinalysis on an ongoing random basis, after appointment as directed.
- Incumbent is subject to medical screening and must meet the Federal Wildland Firefighter Medical Qualification Standards for arduous duty wildland firefighting.
Occasional travel - Occasional overnight travel may be required for fire suppression or fire related assignment
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/581739200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.