Come work for the USPTO, we have been ranked as one of the best places to work in the federal government! The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has been serving the economic interests of America for more than 200 years. We are responsible for granting US intellectual property rights for patents and trademarks. The USPTO is headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, and has over 12,000 employees. For more information about the USPTO, please visit the USPTO Jobs Website.Learn more about this agency
During the current period of mandatory telework required by the Agency’s COVID-19 response, telework will be mandatory. When it is determined the Agency will be moving to the reopening phase, the expectation will be to physically return to the office at the USPTO – Alexandria, VA campus. Telework days and any waiting period for eligibility will be determined at that time.
This position is located in the Office of Enrollment and Discipline in the Office of General Counsel.
The incumbent is responsible for discipline and enrollment functions, including the following:
- Assisting screening registration applications of candidates seeking recognition to practice before the USPTO to determine if the candidate possesses the required scientific and technical training qualifications.
- Assisting with investigating the moral character and reputation of candidates seeking recognition to practice before the USPTO.
- Coordinating and assisting with preparing a nationwide examination of the candidate’s proficiency in patent law and USPTO office regulations, policies, and procedures to be registered as a patent attorney or agent.
- Conducting preliminary screening of grievances against patent and trademark practitioners to determine jurisdiction and possible grounds for discipline, and assisting with investigating, preparing, and presenting evidence of unethical conduct by practitioners in the full range of highly technical and highly controversial disciplinary cases involving scientific, engineering, ethical, and legal considerations.
- Conduct outreach efforts to educate the public and patent and trademark practitioners on applicable professional standards and best practices.
- Assisting with developing policies and procedures for the preparation and submission of the online registration statement, which is to be submitted by practitioners who practice before the USPTO in patent matters.
- Assisting with coordinating offices, resources and courses across the USPTO, as well as communications with third party CLE providers and stakeholders, to develop courses that would qualify for USPTO CLE credit.
- Assisting with monitoring updates to patent and ethics law to further develop courses that would qualify for USPTO CLE credit.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/581605700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.