This position is located in the Office of Smithsonian Facilities (SF), Office of Facilities Management and Reliability (OFMR). The incumbent for this position serves under the general supervision of the Crafts General Maintenance and Operations Supervisor. The employee provides protective and/or decorative painting, final coat(s), furniture finishing work, staining, restoring and graining work throughout the facilities, including exhibition spaces, of the Smithsonian Institution.Learn more about this agency
- Provides protective and/or decorative painting, final coat(s), furniture finishing work, staining, restoring and graining work throughout the facilities, including exhibition spaces.
- Prepares surfaces for new coating materials by removing the old finish (if one exists) using such methods as sanding with an electric sander, scraping, brushing, steel wool, paint remover, burning or chemicals.
- Prepares coating materials by tinting, toning, matching, blending and mixing in various additives to achieve the desired colors/tones/shades of the coating materials
- Performs majority of work in exhibition spaces where artifacts are displayed or will be displayed; incumbent must undertake a great deal of care, while performing the work at a rate which will meet specified deadlines which are generally nonnegotiable as they relate to exhibition-opening or programmatic or operation opening dates.
- Applies a variety of coating materials such as paints, shellac, varnishes, enamels, lacquers, stains, bonding agents, precoating materials, epoxy resins and other materials, as necessary.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/581276700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.