Administers or performs professional work and provides professional consultation in the application of statistical theories, and methods of gathering and/or interpreting quantified patient safety data. Serves as a statistical authority for databases maintained by the NCPS and provides analysis of data to monitor patient safety.Learn more about this agency
The Statistician determines the best ways to capture, analyze, categorize (taxonomy), display (develop and maintain intranet web site), create tailored reports and disseminate novel data, much of it confidential and qualitative at the facility, Network and national level. The Statistician responds to regular, quarterly requests for safety performance data for use by Central Office executives in their evaluation of Network and facility leadership, as well as to urgent, high visibility, short turnaround requests from VA and VHA leadership and the NCPS Executive Director for interpreted data in response to national, regional or local events, Congressional inquiries, external reviews, etc.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Administers or performs professional work and provides professional consultation in the application of statistical theories, and methods of gathering and/or interpreting quantified patient safety data.
- Serves as a statistical authority for databases maintained by the NCPS and provides analysis of data to monitor patient safety.
- Collects, verifies and adjusts information expressed numerically and/or graphically and prepares guidelines or training manuals for the above.
- Plans and conducts various and extensive methods of data collection.
- Collects complex data, using advanced sampling techniques, identifies gaps in the methodology and recommends changes.
- Develops and maintains NCPS intranet website, SharePoint sites, and tailored reports/quarterly data displays (local, Network, and national level).
- Designs and/or implements major statistical methodological studies that contribute to the success of the agency's operating programs and projects.
- Plans, organizes and implements continuous recurring studies using established precedent statistical methods.
- Analyzes the data, draws conclusions and prepares reports after interpretations have been approved.
- Conducts portions of broad projects involving data collection and/or analysis.
- Designs and/or applies standard and customized computer techniques to data collection and analysis (e.g., Natural Language Processing).
- Applies computerized statistical modeling techniques to investigate and evaluate desirable schemes for analysis of data.
- Develops statistical models using tools such as SAS, SPSS, SQL, R, Excel VBA, Microsoft Power BI, etc., and applies the models to a wide variety of situations to solve standard or novel problems related to the research area supported.
- Performs evaluation of methodology of studies conducted to ensure that the results are valid and reliable.
- Evaluates statistical results in consultation with subject matter experts.
- Provides statistical consultation and technical advice to senior subject matter experts and others on statistical
theories and techniques.
- Provides advice and assistance for conventional and precedent statistical projects.
- Consults with other professionals concerning on-going and established statistical studies or other projects where extensive methodological or subject matter advice and interpretation is required.
- Provides consultation as a recognized authority in a particular statistical function or in the statistics pertaining to a specific subject matter field.
- Participates on multidisciplinary project teams.
- Ability to use and automate in CRYSTAL, SAS, R, SAS Enterprise Guide to produce reports.
- Ability to program in Microsoft PowerBI to produce dashboards.
- Ability to program in SAS, R, STATA, EXCEL VBA, or SQL.
- Expert knowledge and ability to program and analyze using natural language processing.
Position Description Title/PD#: Statistician (Health) - Direct Hire/ 03168-A
Physical Requirements: The work is primarily sedentary, but occasionally involves walking, bending, climbing stairs. The work also involves coping with complex, persistent demands from a variety of sources that can be regarded as a high-pressure work situation.
Occasional travel - The position requires occasional overnight travel (may be up to 0-5 nights/month).
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/581229300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.