The Director, Financial Improvement and Audit Remediation (FIAR) is located in the Office of theLearn more about this agency
Deputy Chief Financial Officer (DCFO), Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller)
(USD(C)). The DCFO is the principal advisor to the USD(C)/Chief Financial Officer (CFO), as well as to Department of Defense (DoD) senior leaders, on all issues involving the amended Chief Financial Officers Act of 1990 and related financial management reforms.
The incumbent serves as the Director, Financial Improvement and Audit Remediation (FIAR), and reports directly to the Assistant Deputy Chief Financial Officer (ADCFO). The purpose of this position is to promote financial integrity, strong internal controls, and financial excellence throughout the DoD, as well as communicate financial management improvements and audit status to interested parties (e.g., Congress, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), and the public).
The Director, FIAR, evaluates strategic financial improvement and planning initiatives to support financial management throughout the Department and identifies challenges that require enterprise-level coordination, recommending specific actions to the ADCFO in response. Major duties include:
- Developing, publishing, implementing, and interpreting DoD-wide accounting policy relevant to audit and audit remediation. Coordinating to ensure financial statement audit policy is compliant with U.S. generally accepted accounting principles.
- Coordinating the submission of management representation letters to the DoD Office of Inspector General and authoring FIAR-related portions of the annual agency financial report.
- Working with the ADCFO, DCFO, and USD(C)/CFO to set and gain Deputy Secretary of Defense and Secretary of Defense advocacy of annual audit remediation priorities.
- Overseeing the Department's audit infrastructure and related audit liaison initiatives for the DoD during its consolidated audit.
- Developing, publishing, and interpreting DoD-wide financial management improvements, audit methodologies, and guidance that supports statutory requirements for the Department to audit its full set of financial statements. This includes maintaining the DoD Financial Statement Audit Guide.
- Maintaining the Notices of Findings and Recommendations and Corrective Action Plans database to track, report, and meter remediation progress, including for material weaknesses.
- Developing and maintaining other financial improvement and audit progress metrics, as needed.
- Acting as the proponent for the DoD Managers' Internal Control Program, including evaluating funds control weaknesses and overseeing annual production of the DoD Statement of Assurance for Secretary of Defense signature. Maintaining the DoD Internal Control Over Financial Reporting Guide.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/581145900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.