The incumbent serves as the Assistant Chief, Health Information Management Service (HIMS) located in the Health Information Management Section of Patient Business Office (PBO) Service Line at the Northern Arizona VA Healthcare System who is a Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or a Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), in charge with full responsibility, both technical and administrative, for the daily operation of the Health Information Management Service (HIMS).Learn more about this agency
- Keeps current on emerging issues and trends in the Health Information Management (HIM) field, including process improvement initiatives for HIM, the electronic health record, coding, health record documentation analysis, transcription/speech recognition, release of information, file room/scanning programs, and health information exchange. Keeps the Chief of Health Information Management (CHIM), management and clinical staff abreast of changing technology in electronic systems used to collect, process, code, protect and store health information.
- Provides effective audits and monitors for all areas of responsibility, assuring that accurate and timely data is processed by all employees. Reviews work accomplished and assesses quality, quantity, accuracy and timeliness of work produced by each employee. Ascertains problems encountered and takes corrective action.
- Develops performance standards and conducts performance evaluations. Develops and conducts competency assessments. Responsible for carrying out established personnel functions and practices. Keeps employees informed about important aspects of personnel management programs. Formulates and initiates performance standards. Interviews prospective employees, recommends selection, and carries out training and development of assignments, awards or disciplinary action.
- Is a subject matter expert on 0675 and 0669 qualification standards and how to appropriately apply them. Provides administrative support to other HIM Supervisors/Leads by aiding in the selection, training and evaluation of section employees. Provides technical guidance to the various HIM unit supervisors and lead clerks while providing support of each unit in the absence of the section supervisor.
- Assists the CHIM with the development, evaluation and updating of office procedures, manuals, policies and directives. May be required to develop training materials and continuing education programs. Training programs developed and conducted by employee may include medical terminology, health record documentation requirements, coding, transcription, records management, release of information, Privacy Act and HIPAA.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/580960100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.