The Iowa City VA Health Care System is recruiting for one (1) full-time Nursing Assistant for the Patient Care Service Line. This position is Primarily in the 7E Inpatient Medicine Telemetry unit, with opportunities to float to other inpatient acute units.Learn more about this agency
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Gives and assists with all types of cleansing baths and shampoos. Gives skin care to prevent complications and promote healing. Gives and assists with oral care and hygiene including denture care.
- Makes all types of beds.
- Assists with the use of bedpans and urinals. Applies external catheters and maintains patency or drainage. Assists with bowel and bladder training. Assists in providing ostomy care for established and -uncomplicated ostomies.
- Assists patients in feeding themselves, or feeds those who cannot Measures and records all intake and output (Excluding IV and tube feeding totals)
- Maintains correct body positions. Turns patients as required using all types of supporting and comfort devices. Assists or provides patient transfers, activities, e.g. ambulation, fitter. and or wheelchair to bed. Escorts patients to tests as needed.
- Assists With assembling equipment for sterile procedures, administration of oxygen and vacuum/suction set-up
- Meets the need for safe therapeutic environment by employing principals of medical asepsis, maintaining ward cleanliness by daily cleaning of patient unit and areas. Properly handles soiled and clean linen according to policy. Applies all types of physical restraints and protective devices as ordered. Employs techniques of firefighting and emergency evacuation in the case if fire and/or disaster. Knows the purpose of all ward equipment and seeks assistance as needed.
- Demonstrates recognition of coginitlve, physical, emotional, and chronological maturation of adult and geriatric patient's needs and posses an understanding of how to compensate tor these changes. The geriatric patient is defined as older than 60 years. The NA must also be aware that chronic medical conditions may alter the manifestation of aging.
- Assists ward staff with direct patient care activities as assigned.
- Performs basic patient care activities and duties as assigned, such as taking vitals and recording measurements. Receives centralized monitoring training and is documented as competent to perform basic, noninterpretive tasks associated with the telemetry system, such as assisting with placing patient on telemetry equipment for monitoring, operating and setting up monitoring capabilities at bedside monitors and communicating with the TCMT, and responding to broadcasted 3-star alarms, replacing batteries and leads as needed, and suspending and un-suspending monitoring when patients leave and return from testing.
- Adheres to principles of patient safety, falls safety and infection control and universal precautions at all times. This includes things such as replacing bed rails, and wearing gloves or other appropriate PPE.
- Participates in health team conferences by reporting observations of patient's physical, mental and emotional status. Reports and records observations as required: i.e.: vital signs, color and skin condition, airway patency and the need tor suctioning, drainage from tubes and drains, condition of patient dressings, and/or any changes in patient observed throughout shift.
- Participates in team communication to facilitate all aspects of patient safety. Is responsible for hand off communication to oncoming NA's to avoid gaps in care.
- Incumbent must be able to recognize, respond, report and assist in emergency situations i.e.: code blue, code green, code red, RAT, Code Silver, Stroke and all-natural disasters.
- Responsible for ensuring proper room set up and terminal room clean with appropriate AME.
- May assist RN with administering Bolus Tube Feedings via G-tube, J-tube, GJ-tube by positioning the patient and passing supplies.
Work Schedule: 12 hour day/evenings 7:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. and 8 hour day/evenings 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. - Midnight.
Minimum of very other weekend and rotating holidays.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/580958500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.