This position is located within the Environmental Management Services Division of a VA Medical Center. This position is under the direct supervision of the Housekeeping Supervisor or designee. This position performs both janitorial and custodial services. Work is regularly performed by hand and with light and heavy-powered (industrial-type) cleaning equipment.Learn more about this agency
The Housekeeping Aid executes a full range of housekeeping activities in patient and non-patient care areas. The position may be assigned to any tour and may be required to work in various designated areas during any tour of duty. Typically, the position works independently with general supervision, or works with a team and is responsible for the full-range of cleaning duties in an assigned area throughout the medical facility. These duties include, but are limited to the following:
- Performs floor maintenance, wall washing. Cleans doors, doorframes, baseboard corners and edges, and stairwells. These duties include use of commercial and heavy industrial powered equipment.
- Empties trash and wastebaskets, replaces liners.
- Cleans rest rooms, bathrooms, and shower rooms, ensuring that they are cleaned and meet acceptable standards (cleans, disinfects, and deodorizes lavatories, showers, bathtubs, urinals, and toilet bowls; cleans mirrors, sinks, and water fountains; washes and polishes light and toilet fixtures).Replenishes supplies of paper towels, toilet paper, hand sanitizers, and soap in all areas where dispensers are located.
- Moves and arranges furniture, patient wardrobes, beds, etc. in the assigned area to accomplish cleaning tasks.
- Provides bed-making services in patient care areas and OD rooms; cleans mattresses, springs, and bed frames; and cleans bedside stands, over bed lights, blood pressure cuffs, bed tables, etc. in patient rooms.
- Removes bags of soiled textiles from patient rooms and transports to the designated soiled room in each ward area; Loads and unloads clean textiles from bulk carts. Restocks clean textile closets, cabinets, shelves, carts, and participates in inventory management activities.
- Defrosts and cleans patient care refrigerators and ice machines in nourishment kitchen areas; cleans stainless steel on storage instrument cabinets and counters, elevators in lobbies, wards, diet-kitchens and nurse utility rooms; and cleans ashtrays, smoke stands, sand urns in designated smoke areas and water fountains.
- Provides interim cleaning of windows and window ledges from the inside, cleans glass door and other glass surfaces; and replaces curtains and cleans blinds.
- Cleans and/or replaces needle boxes.
- Periodically cleans specific non-critical Reusable Medical Equipment (RME) in inpatient and clinical areas of the medical center.
Work Schedule: Various shifts and work schedules are available and may include weekends and holidays. The specific shift/work schedule will depend on vacancy availability and will be communicated during the interview or at the time of a job offer.
Position Description Title/PD#: Housekeeping Aid/50145A
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/580853300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.