This position is located in the Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA) Federal Lands Division Office and supports the Division as a senior designer with responsibility for the development of plans, specifications and estimates (PS&E) packages for the most complex, advanced projects relative to the design of highways and bridges.Learn more about this agency
As a Civil Engineer-Design, you will:
- Develop the design and monitor the budget and schedule for assigned projects and has responsibility for the project from initial scoping through construction support. Manage workload by setting and adjusting short-term priorities, as required, to meet changing project needs and information.
- Generate and evaluate geometric design alternatives and develops sound design concepts. Assess the impact of standard exceptions/compromises to established engineering principles and practices and conceptualizes acceptable design exceptions and mitigation strategies, as necessary, to meet customer needs.
- Interpret, apply, and communicate the laws, regulations, policies and guidance related to highway design. Assist in the development of plans for accomplishing business objectives and implementing quality initiatives, including assisting in the formulation and establishment of policies, standards, guidelines, and priorities for team operations.
- Ensure financial accountability and management of funds for assigned projects. Review and update project work steps, resources, and budget as required. .
The Ideal Candidate for this position is a mid-career engineer with experience developing, monitoring, and adhering to the design, budget, and schedule for roadway construction projects and providing technical assistance from initial scoping through construction support.
*PLEASE NOTE: Given our continuing need for professionals in this field, we will routinely review applications and refer the top candidates for potential interviews multiple times during the open period of the announcement. Reviews and referrals of applications will be completed on an as needed basis.
- RECRUITMENT INCENTIVE MAY BE OFFERED TO SELECTEE OF THIS POSITION.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/580478800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.