This position is located in the Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA) Federal Lands Division Office and supports the Division as a senior designer with responsibility for the development of plans, specifications and estimates (PS&E) packages for the most complex, advanced projects relative to the design of highways and bridges.
This establishes an open continuous NTE 6 months, vacancy announcement for Civil Engineer (Highway Design), we will review applications on as needed basis.Learn more about this agency
As a Civil Engineer (Highway Design) at the mid-level, you will:
- Develops the design and monitor the budget and schedule for assigned projects and has responsibility for the project from initial scoping through construction support. Manages workload by setting and adjusting short-term priorities, as required, to meet changing project needs and information.
- Generates and evaluates geometric design alternatives and develops sound design concepts. Assesses the impact of standard exceptions/compromises to established engineering principles and practices and conceptualizes acceptable design exceptions and mitigation strategies, as necessary, to meet customer needs.
- Develops plans, specifications, and estimates (PS&E) packages that clearly define the work, are biddable, and emphasize context sensitivity, safety, and constructability. Identifies appropriate bid items, performs quantity computations for all facets of highway design, and develops summary tables for project plans and price estimates for all work items for assigned projects. Prepares appropriate design documentation, provides quality control reviews on PS&Es prepared by other designers.
- Interprets, applies, and communicates the laws, regulations, policies and guidance related to highway design. Assists in the development of plans for accomplishing business objectives and implementing quality initiatives, including assisting in the formulation and establishment of policies, standards, guidelines, and priorities for team operations.
- Identifies, recommends, and/or uses appropriate technologies for gathering data during PS&E development. Improves the quality of highway design work through the use of new technologies and process improvements. Collaborates with internal staff and outside agencies.
- Ensures financial accountability and management of funds for assigned projects. Reviews and updates project work steps, resources, and budget as required.
Projects involve critical engineering constraints, strong public interest, environmental or other constraints, and many specialty design items and/or critical time frames. The employee applies technical expertise in highway design to address context-sensitivity, sustainability, and livability issues, including safety, economics, environmental issues, and impacts to local landowners. At the senior level, mentors, trains, and assists in the distribution of project work tasks to other designers on the team and assists in quality control on design work products. As assigned, may be a Contracting Officer’s Representative (COR) responsible for managing Architect-Engineer (A/E) Consultant task orders or reimbursable agreements.
The ideal candidate is a design engineer with experience working both independently and with multidisciplinary teams in developing, monitoring, and adhering to the design, budget, and schedule for assigned roadway construction projects, providing technical assistance from initial scoping through construction support, and addressing design engineering issues with a wide range of external contacts.
- RECRUITMENT INCENTIVE MAY BE OFFERED TO SELECTEE(S) OF THIS POSITION.
25% or less - Occasional travel is required.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/580477900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.