The incumbent serves as a Medical Support Assistant in the VA HOSPITAL. S/he performs clerical work in support of the care and treatment given to patients, working closely with the clinical members in the inpatient ward at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs 01 A) Medical Center, Buffalo, NY. Incumbent will normally work at regularly assigned station but is required to work at the other location as necessary.Learn more about this agency
Work Schedule: SECOND SHIFT 2:00PM -1030PM, weekends and holidays
The incumbent performs duties related to the receipt, intake, and indexing of health and administrative information. The incumbent will interface with personal computer (PC) applications as well as numerous Vista applications.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Scheduling appointments, including interpreting and verifying provider orders in accordance with VHA national scheduling guidelines.
- Canceling, re-scheduling patient's appointments and/or consults.
- Ensuring encounter forms are completed in order to obtain appropriate workload credit.
- Verifying and updating demographics and insurance information.
- Processing all emergency and non-emergency transfers to other VA facilities or private hospitals.
- Planning and organizing work with general assistance from the supervisor as to meet local and VA-wide time frames to complete analysis requirements, reports and special assignments and only refers to the non-routine and high technical problems to his/her supervisor.
- Reporting backlogs, difficulties in meeting deadlines, uncooperative physicians, or difficulty in securing information from clinicians or the record.
- Responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of information obtained to carry out required duties.
- Routinely communicating with physicians, case managers, and other allied health professional staff using sound interpersonal skills and is constantly aware of the sensitive information.
- Working independently making decisions based on guidelines, precedents and regulations and performing duties in such a manner that only minimal supervision is required.
- Performing other duties, as assigned.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/580107500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.