The Inpatient Medical Telemetry/COVID-19 Unit, Nursing Assistant (NA) will provide holistic care. 4C nursing assistant will support the RN to provide critical and timely care that does not require an RN to perform. The NA assists with Activities of Daily Living and document in each patient's medical record regularly according to set nursing standards and unit policies.Learn more about this agency
The Nursing Assistant performs nursing procedures and duties on an assigned patient area and has special responsibilities with his/her principal patients, using a team nursing approach in providing holistic care. The NA observes reports and documents changes in patients' conditions. In addition,charting on each patient's computerized medical record is done regularly according to established nursing documentation standards and unit policies. The NA assists with Activities of Daily Living (ADL),the delivery of specialized care and emergency care of patients as needed.
Nursing assistant can provide daily chlorhexidine baths which is an evident based practice to decrease line infection. At times, patients are total care, and are at risk for pressure ulcers and pneumonia. These patients require frequent turning and assessment of skin
with the appropriate treatment modality, which is a complex and tedious task requiring manpower. In addition nursing assistants can provide sitter coverage for suicidal ideation patients, freeing up a nurse from 1:1 patient assignment, so patients can be admitted, transferred, and discharged timely.
The nursing assistant is critical to a smooth flow of the unit due to increased turbulence of admissions, transfers, and discharge of patients on the observation unit.
Other major duties and responsibilities:
- Per the Standard of Care for Nursing Assistants, demonstrates skill in doing basic nursing procedures.
- Observes patients' reactions to interventions/activities and communicates these observations to the professional staff as necessary.
- Suggests changes in-patient care for assigned patients to the treatment team members.
- Notices hazards and unsanitary conditions in the environment and reports them to the Registered Nurse (RN).
- Supports patients' independence in ADL by providing only the amount of assistance necessary.
- Discusses patients' progress toward therapeutic goals with assigned patients weekly.
- Assists the RN and the physician when a physical examination is done on a patient.
- Uses appropriate nursing measures when working with the patient with sensory deficits.
- Participates in patient groups.
- Recognizes changes in assigned patients' eating, sleeping, grooming, toileting, ambulation, and verbal/non-verbal behavior daily.
- Interacts with patients with such problems as depression, psychotic symptoms, anxiety, over-activity withdrawal and assaultive behavior in ways that are specific to these problems.
- Develops therapeutic (helping) relationships with principal patients.
- Obtains urine specimens for drug screening.
- Provides reality orientation to patients.
- Initiates leisure activities with patients.
- Records findings in the computerized medical record such as treatments given, diabetic
- record, vital signs taken, and weights.
- Reviews the computerized medical records of principal patients and is aware of the treatment plans.
- Performs basic Foley catheter care.
- Performs basic nursing care procedures relating to special needs of the patients such as vital signs, bandaging, and urine testing, non-sterile hot and cold applications, care of the body after death, seizure precautions, observation of seriously ill patients and emergency removal of patients to safety.
- Administers oxygen via nasal cannula/mask as ordered using safety precautions.
- Performs all GS-3 duties and other duties as assigned.
- Uses infection control principals in daily work utilizing standard precautions.
Work Schedule: Shift Work, Weekend and Holidays
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/580057900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.