The VA Nebraska-Western Iowa Health Care System is recruiting for one (1) full-time Medical Supply Technician (Sterile Processing) for Sterile Processing Services.Learn more about this agency
In this position, the incumbent will provide sterilization, preparation, supply items, decontamination and distribution support for the medical center and Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOC). The term "supply item" refers to reusable items for patient care including instrumentation (scissors, forceps, retractors, etc.), surgical and dental trays, scopes and various other items that could be processed or assembled through the Preparation and Decontamination areas of SPS.
Incumbent will have knowledge of the processes for RME as required by this position. The incumbent will be required to maintain current knowledge of the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) which document the processes and procedures for cleaning, disinfection, sterilization and preparation of RME appropriate to this position. The incumbent will be able to demonstrate their ability to utilize an acceptable proficiency in the use of RME appropriate to this position.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Performs work pertaining to the cleaning, decontamination, inspection and assembly of trays and sterilization or High-Level disinfection of RME.
- Receives contaminated critical and semi-critical RME in decontamination area. Removes soil, blood, tissue fragments, body fluids and other contaminants by wiping, soaking, rinsing and scrubbing. Disassembles the RME and determines the correct cleaning method, such as but not limited to ultrasonic cleaners, mechanical washers, cart washers and chemical cleaning/decontamination agents as determined by manufactures instructions.
- In clean preparation area, inspects instruments for proper function, prepares and assembles: basic trays, flexible and rigid scopes, complex trays, loaner trays and implant trays used in Operating Room, clinics and CBOCs. All trays will have a second check prior to sterilization.
- Prepares, loads, and operates all sterilizers such as Steam, Steris V-Pro, EtO and a High-Level Disinfecting Scope Reprocessor. Upon load completion completes all paperwork, biological monitoring, package integrity inspection and cooling protocols prior to issuing to end user.
- Processes and sterilizes a wide variety of implant devices in accordance with manufacture recommendations. Ensure quarantine until final spore test results indicate a negative reading. In an emergent situation, proper written authorization is required as well as chief notification.
- Incumbent will perform all quality assurance tests prior to use of any equipment
- Performs and documents daily operational checks and records for all sterilization equipment.
- Incumbent will provide and maintain a safe, functional and effective environment as outlined with the service and medical center policies and report any equipment malfunctions.
- Incumbent will utilize Censitrac- Instrument tracking system through all steps of reprocessing RME.
- Receive and check-in loaner sets, assuring appropriate documents are on file, and document in Censitrac.
- MST may receive guidance from more experienced staff members and SPS management.
- Incumbent maintains current knowledge of policies, directives, IAHCSMM guidelines as well as knowledge of AAMI and AORN Standards.
- Complete training coursework and competencies as required by VHA.
- Incumbent will adhere to all VHA Directives and Memorandums.
- Incumbent will complete all assignments within reason as assigned.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/580046300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.