The Cincinnati, OH VA Medical Center is recruiting to fill an Registered Nurse vacancy located in the Specialty Care/ Medical-Surgical (Med-Surg) Clinics. This RN will be utilized as a Float to augment full time staff on all units throughout the hospital; priority will be given to medical/surgical areas.Learn more about this agency
Work Schedule: Primarily Monday-Friday, day shift, however you must be able to change your schedule occasionally to meet the needs of the service.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required.
The Staff RN in the Specialty Care/ Med-Surg Clinics provides outpatient clinic services for patients. He/she assumes accountability and responsibility for his/her nursing practice and decisions affecting patient care. Primary functions include patient assessment for specified clinic appointments, patient education and coordination of care within the clinic setting to facilitate the delivery of care in a timely and efficient manner. Patient safety is also a priority in the clinic setting with attention to implementation and maintenance of patient safety standards. This RN considers all characteristics of the individual, including sex and sex role identification, age and life stage, state of health, race and culture, socio-economic status, values and previous experience with similar events, in order to assist each patient to identify and meet basic health needs and improve his/her health status to the individual's maximum potential. This RN must demonstrate the flexibility to work in a constantly changing, dynamic and diverse environment requiring excellent interpersonal, clinical, and critical thinking skills.
Other duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Documents observations, assessments, changes in patient's condition, medication delivery and transportation of patients to tests/procedures
- Provides a full range of nursing care to patients with a variety of physical and/or behavioral problems.
- Collaborates with health team members to facilitate positive patient care outcomes
- Administers medications and assist with procedures per established policies, protocols and guidelines.
- Must possess the ability to establish effective communication with patients, families, visitors, and members of the interdisciplinary team.
- Pparticipates as a unit member to enhance the work environment and foster healthy professional relationships.
- Communicates timely and effectively with all members of the patient care team, as well as relate courteously and appropriately to all internal and external customers.
- Responsible and accountable for all elements of the nursing process when providing and/or supervising direct patient care.
- Consistently demonstrates sound clinical judgment and the ability to effectively provide and/or direct the care provided by team members for patients on an assigned clinic and modifies and updates the plans of care/treatment plans for patients on an assigned clinic.
- Participates in studying, identifying, evaluating and implementing creative process and system improvements that facilitate the Mission of the Medical Center at the program or service level and which can be documented through demonstrated outcomes.
- Demonstrates understanding of patient rights, policies relating to patient rights and understanding of ethics for the Federal employee.
- Acts as a patient advocate, guides, directs or supports coworkers regarding ethical issues and makes appropriate referrals when issues are suspected or identified; i.e. knowledgeable regarding the chain-of command and ensures referrals are made to the Medical Ethics Committee when appropriate
- Guides and ensures that other health team members follow established safety protocols that have been designed to reduce/eliminate the risk of injury.
- Demonstrates leadership by developing, revising, evaluating and communicating standards of nursing practice related to his/her area of nursing practice.
- Participates in research or facilitates special projects designed to evaluate and improve patient care and health care delivery and shares information from research findings or special projects through presentation.
- Assists nursing personnel with assessment, implementation and evaluation of new approaches, procedures and standards of patient care, based on reliable nursing research and/or literature review.
- Demonstrates and maintains full competency in the use, pre-cleaning and/or reprocessing of reusable medical equipment.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel to CBOC locations for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/579582900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.