The incumbent is responsible for maintaining and controlling accounts and account transactions in a highly complex finance and accounting system. Incumbent maintains and inputs data into the Financial Management System (FMS) integrated and automated double entry accrual-based accounting systemLearn more about this agency
Duties include but may not be limited to the following:
- Classified and processes transactions that include verifying the accuracy and completeness of the accounting data, compliance with regulations, determining the accounts and subsidiary accounts affected and determining the entries to be made.
- Carefully analyzes each voucher or invoice to determine propriety of payment to include required certifications by authorized officials, compliance with contract provisions, price agreements, and/or other directives.
- Coordinates and resolves discrepancies and/or problems.
- Corrects rejects promptly.
- Maintains multiple spreadsheets with financial data to include but not limited to obligation control document tracking spreadsheet, IPPS, payments, returned checks, etc.
- Maintains the database for beneficiary travel mileage vouchers.
- Reviews transactions for timeliness and reasonableness and resolves problematic areas.
- Ensures that funds are available to cover obligations to prevent anti-deficiency.
- Prepares journal vouchers, inter-office transfer vouchers, and expenditure transfer.
- Processes and establishes obligations and adjustments ensuring proper fund source and costing.
- Documents all follow-up actions as required.
- Prepares and submits all required reports, both internal and external.
- Assists with auditing and classifying Non-MCCF accounts, receivable documents from various appropriations in a timely manner consistent with the monthly accounting accrual system.
- Assists with maintaining all real property accounting records, ensuring proper coding/costing for transmission into the appropriate capital accounts, including work in process, for all funds.
- Responsible for conducting routine reviews of accounting transactions which requires the application of generally accepted accounting principles to ensure technical accuracy of accounting records and compliance with VA regulations.
- Responsible for the accurate and timely preparation of recurring financial reports for submission to the VISN and VA Central office and for preparing special reports for use by local management and operating officials.
- Responsibility for extracting data from various systems to include RSD, VITSTA and FMS.
- Advanced knowledge of accounting and information systems, the incumbent is responsible for identifying variables in data and utilizing macros that produce automated, formatted and usable reports for completion of accounting functions, audit reporting requirements and financial record-keeping.
- Reconciles accounts by comparing account balances with related data to assure agreement; reviewing records and source document to identify the sources of discrepancies; and determining the entries required to bring the account into balance.
Telework: Ad Hoc only
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Accountant/PD904130
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/579357700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.