This position is located in the Medical Supply Distribution (MSD) areas of the Logistics Service in a Veteran Affairs Health Care System (VA HCS) and supported catchment area.Learn more about this agency
The primary purpose of the position is to ensure that supplies and material are distributed to all areas serviced by Logistics. Provides wards, clinics, operating rooms, secondary storage locations, and other hospital facilities with supplies and material including, but not limited to, sterile and non-sterile medical supplies, instruments sets, and equipment.
Assignments include but 'are not limited to: scanning, barcoding, receiving, storing, and the distribution of medical and surgical supplies, instruments, and other material. The work requires knowledge of applicable policies and procedures as well as inventory systems such as the generic inventory package (GIP), bar-coding, aseptic procedures and Logistics processes. Work is performed on established shifts, which may involve evening, overnight, or weekend hours and may be required to travel to our CBOC (Satellite Clinics)
- Maintains stock at primary and secondary inventory locations for all clinical and administrative services. This involves pulling stock inventory and material from main inventory for delivery; replenishing stock inventory; interacting with clinical and administrative customers to ensure issues and needs are identified and either resolved or escalated to supervisors or Inventory Management Specialists as needed; maintaining records on stock levels; recommending revisions in stock levels as needed to supply changes to Inventory Management Specialists; communicating to the lead or supervisor any concerns related to supplies, equipment and procedures, providing information as needed orally or in writing regarding customer or external stakeholder issues, general telephone inquiries and visitor referrals; communicating with customers and vendors to obtain information regarding medical supplies.
- Monitors expiration dates, rotates stock to limit outdates and removes items from use as required by outdates. Supports managers in checking inventory for stock identified for recalled items and hazard alerts; ensures critical supplies are appropriately monitored and controlled, resolving deviations when possible, and escalating significant deviations to the Inventory Management Specialists.
- Performs daily inventory of primary and secondary inventory points using bar coding equipment on a predetermined schedule that will allow for timely replenishment orders. Resolves differences between records and physical count of stock.
- Distributes items according to established or ad hoc requirements in computerized inventory management systems such as GIP. Utilizes a pager or similar device to expedite the pick/delivery often needed in user areas throughout the VA HCS and supported catchment area. Fills requests for items based on daily schedules of need or on an emergent basis as appropriate
- Delivers supplies in a timely and accurate manner, ensuring supplies and material delivered are in sterile and operational condition. Deliveries will be to wards, clinics and other secondary locations that may be in remote sites. Delivery by motor vehicle may be required.
- Completes specialty cart preparation and stocking.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Compressed/Flexible: Compressed scheduled is being offered due to COVID at this time
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Supply Technician/PD417186
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/579352800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.