THIS IS AN OPEN CONTINUOUS ANNOUNCEMENT. This type of announcement provides the Forest Service with a readily available source of applicants when vacancies occur. Eligibility and qualifications will be verified when there is a vacancy for the location and grade for which you applied. Information on specific locations where jobs are being filled and the dates applications are due for these locations can be found on theForest Service website.Learn more about this agency
See ADDITIONAL INFORMATION section for details.
- Participate in the development of smokejumper training policies.
- Directly supervises smokejumper squads which include Squad Leaders and Smokejumpers.
- Perform the administrative and human resource management functions relative to the staff supervised.
- Serve as an active smokejumper, smokejumper spotter, and parachute rigger.
- Prioritize attack sequence in multiple fire situations based on fire needs and principles of efficient aircraft use.
- Coordinate and provides for retardant aircraft, helicopters, and other smokejumper aircraft.
- Responsible for overall training administration, including delegation of training assignments, prioritization, procurement, purchasing, inventory, and documentation.
- Analyze and predict budget needs for all training operations and submits budget proposal for inclusion in the group annual work plan.
- Maintain individual records of smokejumper training and experience.
- Plan, schedule and coordinate all aspects of smokejumper training.
- Prepare lesson plans, write manuals, develop smokejumper specific training courses, supervises and evaluates instructors involved in training and refreshing smokejumpers in parachuting procedures and fire suppression skills.
- Establish group training guidelines; writes, edits, updates, and approves relevant guidelines for internal use.
- Performs wildfire suppression support as directed within training and physical and other duties as assigned.
- Duties listed are at full performance grade GS-11 level.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel overnight on fire suppression or fire related assignments for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/579082900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.