Job Corps graduates of fire certified programs are encouraged to apply.Learn more about this agency
This position is located within a National Forest. The position is located on a fire crew as a crewmember within the fire management organization.
The purpose of the position is wildland fire suppression/management/control, as a firefighter on an engine, hotshot, helitack or hand crew.
- Performs as a member of a fire crew assigned to suppress the full range of difficulty and complexity of fires.
- Moves dirt, chops brush, fells small trees, etc., to build fireline using hand tools such as axe, Pulaski, shovel and McLeod, and power saws, to control spreading wildland fire. Lays or directs hose in the use of water.
- Fells trees or snags using power saws. May be required to rappel. Sets backfires as directed. Cleans, reconditions, and stores specialized fire tools and equipment.
- Patrols areas of controlled fires to "mop-up" by searching out and extinguishing any remaining burning material. Operates specialized fire suppression equipment such as portable pumps or drip torch.
- Observes, records, and preserves evidence of cause of fires.
- May be assigned to other resource management activities such as fuels, recreation, timber, or reforestation when not performing fire suppression duties.
Occasional travel - Occasional overnight travel may be required for fire suppression or fire related assignment.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/578967800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.