THIS IS AN OPEN CONTINUOUS ANNOUNCEMENT. This type of announcement provides the Forest Service with a readily available source of applicants when vacancies occur. Eligibility and qualifications will be verified when there is a vacancy for the location and grade for which you applied. Information on specific locations where jobs are being filled and dates when applications are due for these locations can be found on the Forest Service website.Learn more about this agency
See ADDITIONAL INFORMATION section for details.
- Duties listed are at full performance grade GS-07 level.
- Serve as a manager and/or manager/spotter of a helicopter on a regular and recurring basis and has aviation responsibilities including helitack and/or helitack/rappel operations, reconnaissance, aerial ignition, and search and rescue.
- Provide leadership and direction to firefighters while on the incident by implementing tactics such as; Direct and indirect fire line construction, hot spotting, backfiring, burnout, aerial ignition.
- Responsible for completing fire line safety and tactical briefings, fire size-up, fire reports and fire personnel performance evaluations.
- Provide aerial and ground support in the suppression of wildland fires. Operates radios, telephones, and other equipment to exchange information for fire weather and other forest suppression activities.
- Compile payment sheets for mileage, task time, and pilot flight time.
- Perform daily helicopter inspection. Inventories and inspects helicopter accessories, specialized fire equipment, and tools.
- Perform wildfire suppression support as directed within training and physical capabilities. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Provide leadership and direction to firefighters while on the incident by implementing tactics such as; water delivery systems, tree felling, brush removal, and mop-up operations.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel overnights on fire suppression or fire related assignments for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/578698200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.