The position is at the full performance level located in the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), at the VA Loma Linda Healthcare System, VA Medical Center (VAMC) in the Engineering Service, In House Construction Team, Projects Section.The primary purpose of the position is to serve the Veteran under the supervision of the Supervisor, In-House Construction Team.This includes the functions of the In-House Construction Team at the VA Loma Linda Healthcare System.Learn more about this agency
The incumbent performs at journeymen level a variety of woodcrafters, carpentry, painting, asbestos containment, moving, furniture installation, and carpeting and flooring replacement, where fit, accuracy and space are essential and structural soundness and appearance is essential. Will work with cabinetry, and furniture for use in medical offices and other uses. Tasks will require constructing, altering, repairing, and modifying items made of metal, wood, and wood substitutes. Determines the methods and techniques, devices, and materials necessary to do the complete job. Employee will survey job sites and be responsible in determining the correct dust and asbestos containment requirements prior to the start of the task/job.Incumbent is responsible for full implementation and continuous updating of the Engineering Service AEMS/MERS systems that apply to the In house Construction Team, Projects Section. To accomplish work, data entry will require an understanding of the operation of the terminals, printers, and appropriate software. Task may also include:Makes job site surveys and recommendations to supervisor on best practices to compete assigned task and determining type/quantity of best-suited material to be used.
- Assembles/disassembles cubicles to include creating or working from complex drawings as a layout of the entire floor plan, ensuring assembly is consistent with safety standards, local standards, and manufacturing standards.
- Constructs framing and partitions for systems furniture.
- Resolves problems in the installation and repair of systems furniture and non-modular furniture. Assembles, delivers and performs limited repairs to office type furniture that is not modular in natures.
- Stores and categorizes unused products consistent with local warehouse standards, ensuring efficient space utilization. Complete and sign all documentation associated with receiving, installing, modification of system furniture parts and systems.
- Keep and maintain a current inventory of all systems furniture and non-modular office furniture parts and equipment.
- Builds fixtures, shelving, cabinets, interior walls, laths, sheathing, floors, ceiling, and stairs with verbal and/or drawings. Installs window frames, doors, outside trims, inside trims.
- Maintains, repairs, and alters the interior and exterior structures built from concrete, block, ceramic tiles by preparing and spreading mortar or adhesive; cutting, shaping, and laying blocks and tiles; and finishing joints.
- Uses tools and power equipment such as handsaws, power saws, skill saws, scaffolding, and fine surface materials, including blocks, tiles, metal, wood and wood substitutes. Is responsible for maintaining tools and equipment in good working condition.
- Constructing, installing, repairing, and modifying wood and wood substitute structures and items requiring closetolerance fit and structural soundness.
- Constructing and repairing a wide variety of structural items such as building frames, rafters, concrete.
- Setting up and operating a wide variety of wood working machines and tools.
- Interpreting drawings, blueprints, and specifications and determining the layout and work sequences of work to be completed.
- Must troubleshoot, repair, maintain, and fully install a wide variety of commercial locking devices of varied manufacturers.
- Must assist management in the capabilities and selection of locking devices for solving security problems.
- Performs plastering duties cracks and holes: Applies patch work using plaster and other materials.
- May install or replace rocks, wood or metal lath. Repairs and finishes walls by applying joint compound and tape to cracks and joints.
- Must understand apply Painting and Preparing procedures to various painting duties throughout the facility.
- Maintains, installs, repairs, and weatherproof roofs using roofing accessories, roofing felt, asphalt, and various other roofing coatings and materials.
- Use of personal protective equipment is required to avoid exposure to asbestos. House cleaning and small abatement of asbestos is required during normal work assignments.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Compressed/Flexible Schedule: None
Telework- Not Available
Position Description Title/PD#: Carpenter/PD10840A
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/578269900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.