The laboratory manager/chief technologist serves at a medical center with comprehensive and complex laboratory services and has full supervisory responsibility for a large staff including GS-11 and GS-12 personnel. These higher-level duties consist of significant scope, complexity (difficulty), and range of variety, and are performed by the incumbent 100% of the time.Learn more about this agency
VISN 22 Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Service (PALMS) encompass the eight consolidated laboratories located at specific VA facilities within VISN22. These facilities include the VA Loma Linda Healthcare System, VA Long Beach Healthcare System, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System (GLA), VA San Diego Healthcare System, VA Northern Arizona Healthcare System, Carl T. Hayden VA Healthcare System (Phoenix), VA Southern Arizona Healthcare System, and VA New Mexico Healthcare System.
The incumbent shares, with the director/ medical director of laboratory service, full responsibility for managing and supervising all phases of laboratory service operations. The incumbent supervises a staff of non-supervisory and supervisory personnel including at least one GS-12 subordinate. Provides guidance and serves as an authority and subject matter expert on laboratory medicine, including research, agency policies, new techniques and procedures. Develops guidelines, assesses laboratory effectiveness, establishes and maintains quality assurance and quality management programs. Consults with or serves as a consultant for local, network and national programs and/or officials. Manages regulatory affairs and compliance. Develops and manages program budget and resource utilization, inventory, acquisition and contracting processes. Assists and participates in educational programs affiliated with institutions providing training for individuals in laboratory or other related medical fields of study.
- Assesses laboratory effectiveness.
- Establishes and maintains quality assurance programs.
- Serves as an authority on laboratory medicine.
- Serves as a consultant to local, network, and national program officials.
- Keeps abreast of current research, clinical methods, and technical advances in the field.
- Develops and integrates new techniques, and procedures into laboratory programs.
- Provides direction and guidance to staff.
- Develops and manages program budget.
- Maintains coverage throughout the laboratory and active recruitment and personnel selection functions.
- Interprets and provides technical guidance on agency policies and procedures
Demonstrated Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of concepts, principles and methodologies of a major clinical laboratory program and operations in order to assess program effectiveness and provide authoritative guidance for operations, personnel, and management
- Ability to work collaboratively with other disciplines, upper management, VISN level staff and /or Central Office
- Ability to plan and execute short-and long-range programs and/or goals through project management and tactical/strategic planning
- Skill in administrative management (e.g., budgeting, contracting, procurement and property management) in accordance with VHA regulations.
- Ability to provide advisory, planning and surveillance services to clinicians, laboratory directors and supervisor on specific functions, programs or problems that are widespread or persistent
- Ability to solve complex problems involving unique or controversial aspects of medical technology or laboratory management, new or unconventional methods, programs changes or conflicts between scientific/technological requirements, regulatory or program requirements.
- Knowledge of, and ability to, provide the full range of supervisory duties which includes responsibility for assignment of work, performance evaluations, selection of staff, and recommendation of awards, advancements, and disciplinary actions.
- Ability to balance the administrative and clinical functions in order to coordinate and manage programs and resources.
- Knowledge and skill in management/administration, which includes strategic and tactical program planning, coordination, interpretation, supervision, consultation, negotiation, problem solving, formulation of policy and guidelines and monitoring of laboratory programs.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing, on technical information with a wide variety of individuals including senior VHA managers in the medical center, Veterans Integrated Service Network (VISN) level staff and VHA Central Office staff
- Skill in applying analytical and evaluative methods and techniques to the measurement and improvement of program effectiveness and /or organizational productivity.
- Skill to develop new or modified work methods, organizational structures, records and files, management processes, staffing patterns, etc.
- Incumbent is a purchase card approving official and complies with all the acquisition regulations, both Federal, VA and local to include 8A, small business, Javis Wagner O'Day Act, and mandatory sources in accordance VHA Handbook 1730.1, Use and Management of the Government Purchase Card Program.
Work Schedule: Mon - Fri, 8:00 a.m. through 4:30 p.m.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/577429200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.