This position is located in the Office of Railroad Safety within the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA), U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT). If selected, you will serve as the Senior Data Scientist and Advisor for Railroad Data Analysis Systems and advise FRA on all matters related to advanced analytics, statistical modeling, machine learning, and artificial intelligence.Learn more about this agency
The Senior Data Scientist and Advisor for Railroad Data Analysis Systems will provide technical leadership for a range of program activities that are critical to assuring that the rapidly advancing field of data science is applied in a manner that will ensure the safety and security of freight and passenger transportation on the national railroad system.
As Senior Data Scientist and Advisor for Railroad Data Analysis Systems, you will:
• Provide authoritative guidance for program implementation and program development concerning the development of advanced analytics and embedded analytics to gain insights into various human and machine data streams.
• Deliver expert advice to senior agency officials concerning the use of data analytics to support decision-making.
• Develop computational algorithms and statistical methods that find patterns and relationships in large volumes of data from various sources.
• Evaluate and render opinions on matters related to the integration of railroad safety data into risk models and data-driven processes to improve compliance with Federal railroad safety regulations.
• Apply broad, detailed, and exceptionally current knowledge pertaining to advanced data analytics, data science and modeling to define and request contract or research support as required to develop state of the art safety data analysis tools using emerging software and technology.
• Develop and issue guidelines and protocols to staff for the adoption of new data tools that will integrate risk assessments into daily inspection, audit, and safety oversight operations. Provide professional direction in data systems analysis to other safety staff members as required to accomplish the mission.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel is required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/577386400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.