The position is located in the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), Veterans Health Administration (VHA), at the Loma Linda VA Healthcare System in the Nutrition and Food Services department.Learn more about this agency
ResponsibilitiesThe primary purpose of the position involves administering food service activities in accordance with applicable Health Care Center and Nutrition and Food Services policies and procedures. Activities include training and motivating employees, administering leave, discipline, employees' performance appraisals, EEO goals and objectives, supporting a positive labor/management environment and promoting courteous and cooperative working relationships.As a Food Service Supervisor, the incumbent is responsible for effective food service operation for patients in Acute Care, Psychiatry, Community Living Center, and ambulatory care. Under the supervision of the Food Service Manager, the incumbent plans, reviews and evaluates the work activities of a 7-day, multi-shift food service operation. The incumbent directs subordinates' work to conform to Nutrition and Food Services and Loma Linda VA Health Care System goals, procedures and policies.
- The incumbent is responsible for the operation of food service areas and the administrative duties within these areas. Makes decisions independently within the scope of responsibility.
- Incumbent is accountable for the quality and quantity of work performed in the food service areas.
- This includes responsibility for the attendance, assignment sheet, production and efficiency of Food Service Workers supervised by this position. Must be cognizant of the abilities and limitation of subordinates so that work will progress smoothly and efficiently.
- Maintains balanced workloads by shifting assignments, proper rotation of workers, and other resources under their control to achieve the more effective work operations.
- Coordinates work with other units that may be involved. Responsible for food accuracy temperatures and all paperwork concerning meal trays. Prepares performance requirements and work scheduled in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Maximized utilization of manpower and motivates subordinates to accomplish quality patient meal services.
- Assures that established standards of quality and quantity are being met in patients' tray service.
- Reviews work while in progress to see that serving procedures and sanitary regulations are being followed.
- Changes work plans or assignments as necessary to accomplish the work as effectively as possible.
- Recommends use of unscheduled hours and overtime as needed. Ensures that employees exercise caution when handling sharp utensils, working with hot foods or beverages and working around electrically operated equipment.
- Sees that Food Service Workers follow instructions and available guides in the operation of equipment and handling of dishes.
- Must be alert to hazardous conditions and eliminate or assist in eliminating these conditions.
- When an on-the-job injury occurs, acts promptly by getting medical treatment for the injured employee and preparing proper forms, referring to workers' compensation office.
- Ensures that food and supplies are properly stored and rotated, to prevent wastage and promote security.
- Controls usage of subsistence and supplies to promote cost-containment.
- Ensures compliance with HACCP guidelines, NFS procedures and VHA policies to ensure food safety for food service.
- Is responsible for the proper usage and care of all food service equipment and ensures that NFS employees are knowledgeable in the equipment's usage and care. Submits works orders as necessary to maintain equipment in working order.
- Recommends replacement of equipment as necessary
- Ensures employees receive all mandatory training.
- Participates in employee development programs, such as on-the-job training of subordinate staff.
- Documents completion of formal and informal training programs within and outside the Service.
- Responsible for overseeing and documentation of orientation for new employees in NFS.
- Assists in the development and implementation of in service programs.
- Assists in the development and implementation of Service standard operating procedures.
- Provides input for revision of procedures as necessary.
- Supports the EEO and Safety Program. Submits electronic accident reports as necessary
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: Monday- Sunday Variable 8 hour shifts between 0500 - 1930
Position Description Title/PD#: Food Service Worker Supervisor/PD12929-O
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not authorized
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/577290300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.