THIS IS AN OPEN CONTINUOUS ANNOUNCEMENT. This type of announcement provides the Forest Service with a readily available source of applicants when vacancies occur. Eligibility and qualifications will be verified when there is a vacancy for the location and grade for which you applied. Information on specific locations where jobs are being filled and the dates when applications are due for these locations can be found on the Forest Service website.Learn more about this agency
See ADDITIONAL INFORMATION section for details.
- Duties listed are at full performance grade GS-09 level.
- Coordinate the activities of a unit or team of firefighters in wildland fire suppression situations.
- Perform various technical duties that involve differing and unrelated processes and methods, shifting frequently from one technical assignment to other, substantially different tasks.
- Recognize, react to, and communicate changes in predicted weather and fire behavior, topography and fuel types, and adapt to planned strategies and tactics
- Perform in other assignments on incidents involving wildland urban interface/intermix situations, or other incidents which may require other specialized training and qualifications; i.e. Incident Commander, etc.
- Responsible for directing a module of a 10 or 20 person Hotshot Crew, and is qualified to assume full responsibility in the absence of the Hotshot Crew Superintendent.
- Assign resources, conducts safety meetings, monitors work quality and quantity, tracks budget expenditures, and reports work progress and project accomplishments.
- Work with other agency management objectives and policies, including the full range of suppression tactics and ecosystem management practices.
- Implement a comprehensive physical training program to enhance the ability of crewmembers to perform the required arduous firefighting duties.
- Work with other resource managers in the development and implementation of prescribed burn plans.
- Manage assigned property by procuring, maintaining an inventorying tools and equipment to meet individual crew needs
- Exercise procurement authority by executing blanket purchase agreements, field purchase orders, requisitions, and charge card purchases.
- Demonstrate leadership in establishing and maintaining a work environment that is free from discrimination and creates a sense of inclusion and support for all employees in the workplace.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel overnights on fire suppression or fire related assignments for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/576932600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.