Learn more about this agency
THIS IS AN OPEN CONTINUOUS ANNOUNCEMENT. This type of announcement provides the Forest Service with a readily available source of applicants when vacancies occur. Eligibility and qualifications will be verified when there is a vacancy for the location and grade for which you applied. Information on specific locations where jobs are being filled and the dates applications are due for these locations can be found on theForest Service website.
- Provides professional expertise in the development and implementation of multiple resource objectives. Develops fuels treatment alternatives to support management decisions while adhering to applicable laws, regulations, policies and guidelines.
- Coordinates with the next higher organizational level, other agencies, cooperators and stakeholders to develop interagency fuels strategies. Represents the organization in multi-agency fuels management activities.
- Maintains awareness of technological developments in wildland fire science and related disciplines. Collects information through a variety of methods, including field surveys, computer modeling and specific literature searches.
- Stays abreast of state-of-the-art computer modeling software and scientific methods to support fire use, air quality, and fuel treatment planning an applications.
- Coordinates multi-disciplinary field studies related to fuels management program issues to determine effectiveness of treatments. Coordinates and provides transfer of findings to the appropriate personnel.
- Responsible for the smoke management program to ensure compliance with state air quality standards. Coordinates with federal, state and local government air quality officials in their development of operational procedures and reporting requirements.
- Performs fiscal analysis, assists in formulating the annual fuels management budget and maintains a system of accounts to track program expenditures.
- Serves as a member of an interdisciplinary team planning, developing, and implementing land management plans, compliance documents, and agreements. Provides input and recommends strategies for fuels and fire management.
- Provides assistance to other resource program managers in the design of fuels management prescriptions and implementation plans. Provides information on fuels management methods to enhance, restore and protect ecosystems.
- Develops, reviews and monitors fuels management plans. Works closely with other resource specialists to integrate vegetation management project designs in fuels program direction.
- Reviews environmental documents, prescribed fire plans, and wildland fire use plans of other agencies and stakeholders which will affect the unit. Participates in the development of cooperative agreements to facilitate multi-agency projects.
- Implements and administers prescribed fire activities, wildland fire use, and fuels management activities to ensure targets are achieved, management objectives are met and mitigation measures are adequate.
- Monitors fire behavior, evaluates fire effects, identifies potential problems and takes appropriate action. Designs and implements fuels management surveys to document presence, amount, and types of hazardous fuels.
- Utilizes the results of the surveys to prioritize prescribed fire and fuels management projects. Participates in preparedness reviews, proficiency checks and drills, safety sessions, and after action reviews.
- Ensures own and other's welfare and safety in all aspects of project implementation.
- Identifies training needs and participates in prescribed fire and fuels management, and wildland fire and safety training in the techniques, practices, and methods of fire suppression
- May serve as a Contracting Officer's Representative (COR) on fuel management contracts and may be responsible for the preparation of contract specifications and performance measures.
- Supports wildland fire suppression activities
Occasional travel - You will be expected to travel overnight for fire suppression or fire related assignments.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/576927100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.