THIS IS AN OPEN CONTINUOUS ANNOUNCEMENT. This type of announcement provides the Forest Service with a readily available source of applicants when vacancies occur. Eligibility and qualifications will be verified when there is a vacancy for the location and grade for which you applied. Information on specific locations where jobs are being filled and the dates applications are due for these locations can be found on theForest Service website.Learn more about this agency
- Duties listed are at full performance grade GS-07 level.
- The incumbent leads a highly mobile aerial delivered firefighting squad that utilizes agency contracted helicopters to rapidly attack wildfires in varied terrain and fuels.
- Works in adverse conditions located in remote wilderness areas, desert regions, and urban interface locations.
- Incumbent works in support of suppression operations at temporary bases located throughout the nation.
- Incumbent ensures that suppression operations remain within the scope and capability of the existing resources.
- Ensures safety and welfare for all assigned personnel in adverse/remote working conditions.
- Leads and serves as crew boss of fire crew in the initial and extended attack phase of wildland fire suppression operations.
- Assess fire situations by; analyzing conditions, implementing control strategies and tactics, deploys personnel and equipment.
- Communicates incident information to fire dispatch offices and other resources.
- Provides leadership on the incident by implementing tactics such as; direct and indirect fire line construction, hot spotting, backfiring, burnout, aerial ignition, water delivery systems, tree felling, brush removal, and mop-up operations.
- Ensures squad is prepared for assignments by instructing readiness drills and equipment inspections to meet rapid mobilization requirements set by the Helitack Supervisor.
- Incumbent serves as a manager and/or manager/spotter of a helicopter on a regular and recurring basis and has aviation responsibilities including helitack and/or helitack/rappel operations, reconnaissance, aerial ignition, and search and rescue.
Occasional travel - Occasional overnight travel may be required for fire suppression or fire related assignments.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/576907900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.