THIS IS AN OPEN CONTINUOUS ANNOUNCEMENT. This type of announcement provides the Forest Service with a readily available source of applicants when vacancies occur. Eligibility and qualifications will be verified when there is a vacancy for the location and grade for which you applied. Information on specific locations where jobs are being filled and the dates when applications are due for these locations can be found on the Forest Service website.Learn more about this agency
See ADDITIONAL INFORMATION section for details.
- Duties listed are at the full performance level.
- Serves as flight crew member/Spotter on smokejumper aircraft with flight duties assigned involving smokejumper preflight gear checks, preflight aircraft inspections, navigation, agency communications and flight checklist responsibilities.
- When assigned as Incident Commander, independently manages complex fire operations, directing a variety of fire fighting resources including air tankers, helicopters, hand crews, and engines.
- Completes reports for time and attendance, fire time, crew time, accident/injury, fire action, individual fire, training, fire replacement requisitions.
- Where contracted aircraft are assigned to the base, performs the duties of a Project Inspector when so designated by the Base Manager for day-to-day administration of aviation contracts.
- Serves as an instructor on Forest and Regional training cadres providing expertise in wildland fire suppression, smoke jumping, Incident Command System and air operations.
- Serves as smokejumper Spike Base Manager as required and manages all activities of the base as designated by the Base Manager.
- Ensures all flight-following policies and procedures are adhered to including full responsibility for aircraft navigation and radio communication.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel overnights on fire suppression or fire related assignments for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/575867300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.